Sandhill Cranes of Othello Washington

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 2, 2007.

1. We have a few thousand Lesser Sandhill Cranes that stop over in Eastern Washington for a few weeks on their migration back North. They feed primarily in the stubble of the harvested corn fields. Our weather has rather sucked here this year so far, so Nancy and I decided to head for the East. Saturday was rather dreary, cloudy all day, slight drizzle, but yesterday dawned bright, clear and rather chilly. Here are a few Flights Shots as a group of a hundred or more left one field we watched for an hour or so.

This one was shot by Nancy, I like it - D200, 200-400 F4 AFS VR + TC-14E:
    [​IMG]

Here are a few of mine - D200, 400 F2.8 AFS-I + TC-17E:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This same area has Burrowing Owls, boy did we get some cool shots of those, American Kestrel, and lots of other stuff. Nice weekend, and then we come home to snow in the pass, and snow this morning. This is April, isn't it?????

2. Great photos, Bill!!! My fav is the last one. Can't wait to see the owl shots.

3. jimmyc1000

jimmyc1000

Jun 14, 2006
    Very nice shots. I wish I had an opportunity to shoot these beautiful birds in Maryland.

4. Well it looks like we've got our very own Bosque del Othello. Very cool shots Bill. Like the direct overhead shot.

Louie

5. Thanks, Sandi. The trick with these birds, as with most, is that they don't fly where you want them to all the time, so getting the light "just right" with them nice and close, just sit back and pray :biggrin:

The Owls, just think about sitting in your car, 40 feet or so away ...... :wink:

Thanks, Jimmy. We are pretty darned lucky with the variety here in Washington, got lucky with a nice break in the weather this weekend.

Thanks, Louie. The "overheads" were all handheld, I was rather suprised to be quite honest that they didn't look like "fuzzy blobs" ..... I will tell you, however, that Othello may be just a touch larger than Socorro .... :wink:

6. Great shots...2 and 3 are my favorites!

7. There you go Bill - think of all the money you saved last fall by NOT going to Bosque.

Than nice blue sky kinda sucks though, where is the snow covered mountain backdrop at sunrise/sunset with the steaming water in sub-freezing conditions? Hunh? Hunh? Hunh?

Gee, I wish I had a sandhill moment such as yours and could capture them as well!

8. Thanks, Francois. I was not sure how those would work out. I was leaning quite far back handholding the 400 f2.8, that gets a bit heavy for sure.

Thanks, Nick, sure wish we BOTH could have made that trip. I'm still trying to figure out if I can get down your way this year. That sky sure was pretty, completely different from Saturday. It would have been perfect if the wind had not been blowing. Got snow on the drive home, and then a couple of inches here at home this AM. What a joy ......

9. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Hi Bill, good shootin' by both you and Nancy! It must be something else to witness a few thousand of those Lesser Sandhill Cranes congregating or taking off.