Sandhills in N Alabama

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick and I went to check out a new blind this morning at the Wheeler Wildlife Reserve just outside of Decatur AL. We got there at 6:30, to pretty cloudy conditions, but things cleared up just a bit as the sun came up. Not much action though, until we heard the sound of Sandhills. Over the next half hour or so, we were amazed to see literally hundreds of these big birds coming into the reserve.

Unfortunately, they were several hundred yards away, and were landing behind a copse of trees. We decided to go to another section of the reserve. When we got there, we found another large flock of these guys, grazing in a harvested corn field. They were still very far away, but at least we could see them. These were shot from 200 - 300 yards. We are going back to this second location at 6:45 in the morning to see if we can get a little closer.

These aren't great shots, but they do prove that we saw Sandhills. :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Man Frank, you did come upon a flock of Sandhills. I love these birds, especially when they are flying in a sunset. Thanks for your flight shots.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon. I hope we can sort of sneak up on them in the morning by getting there before sunrise, and get some shots a little closer. :rolleyes:

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots!

5. LOVE that second shot Frank. Sandhills are kinda uncommon around here. Great to see such nice shots of them.

Cheers

Tim

6. Cool a new spot isn't it fun when you discover one

7. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Nice shots Frank. I look forward to seeing your shots from this morning. Hopefully you will find them again. I am assuming the these are pretty uncommon for the Decatur area. I don't see them very often here in the Tupelo, Ms area.

I came across some a few years ago just North of Tupelo shile duck hunting. They stayed in that same areaa almost all winter.

By the way I'm not to far from Decatur. I would love to meet ya'll over there sometime. If you wouldn't mind me bugging you with questions all the time.

8. looking forward to what you can do with these beutiful birds. sneak up on em man!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Woooohooo Flewwwwwwwww

Thats great and your images are to :>)) Wonder if they stay there or they are on there way down ...

Great shooting today.

10. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Excellent Frank! I have never seen more than 4 together. WOW!

11. not bad considering how far away you were. And all I get to see is a paltry 30 or so.:cool: ...

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. I got back out there this morning at 6:30, and stayed for about 2 hours, but the sun never made an appearance. Looks like we're in for a gloomy day.

Rex Where are you located? I'd love to get together and shoot. I'm supposed to be shooting with Bernie Campoli (Popeye) this weekend and I expect that Patrick will be there too. We will probably go to the Eagle's nest and maybe back to the Sandhill fields. Then John Palmer (PJohnP) is coming up in a couple of weeks to shoot Eagles, GBH's and maybe Sandhills. If the weather is nice, I'm going back out tomorrow as well. Just let me know.

Gale I think that they are just passing through. I hope that they stay for a while though.

Trish Even though I didn't get much of a shooting opportunity, I was in awe this morning as wave after wave of these guys cam gliding in so gracefully.

Harris This one was shot at ISO 500, 1/400th, f4.8, but it gives just a small idea of how many there were. There were many more, but it's hard to get a wide angle shot at 510mm. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Frank, I'm just north of Tupelo, Ms. A couple of hours from Decatur. I'm headed out to Reelfoot Lake in Tn. now. When I get back I will get back with you.
    Thanks Rex

14. Wow, to quote Maverick (from the movie Top Gun): This is what I call a "target rich environment."

15. Very nice. Looking forward to seeing shots from your morning outing.

Louie

16. Love the 2nd onr Frank. Good luck on your next visit.

17. I love the shots of them flying. How wonderful to see so many. We get a few up here but nothing like that.