SanDisk 12 in 1 Reader: Doesn't work with 2Gb SD?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by GregR, Apr 19, 2007.

1. GregR

GregR

Feb 28, 2007
    Tokyo
    I read on the Amazon that SanDisk's own 12 in 1 reader doesn't work it's own 2Gb Extreme III SD cards?

I've just bought one these cards and it doesn't work in the mobile Belkin card reader that I've been using up until now either. The 1Gb Ultra II SD card worked fine.

Anyone own both the 12 in 1 and a SanDisk 2gb SD?

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I have a Motionflash cardreader that reads all kind of SD cards but has trouble reading the 2gb Sandisk Extreme. I thought about buing the Sandisk Cardreader but now I won't. I'll stick to Transcend cards instead. I have very good experience with those cards.

3. Did you install the software that came with the unit? If so, try removing the software. Mom's 12-in-1 will not read non sandisk cards, until I intalled it on my laptop. My 5in1 reads 2G cards from another mfg, as well as the ultra III 1G.

4. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    I got a 4 gb SD card that none of my readers would touch. Did a little reading; the 2gb line is where formatting changed. There are some incompatible cards out there now.

My new Kingston reader from Amazon has read everythingI've thrown at it.

YMMV <g>

Dave

5. Yes, I just now put a Sandisk 2gb sd card in my 12 in 1 reader and it read it just fine as it always has! This is on a Mac - on a pc ymmv, though!:smile:

6. GregR

GregR

Feb 28, 2007
    Tokyo
    I just got some feedback from Sandisk tech support. Apparently there are old and new 12-in-1s out there. The new ones have an 'ESP' (or ESD?) logo on them, and they supposably work fine.

The thing that annoys me though, is that the real cheapo built-in stiffy/card reader on my dad's PC reads my card fine. But the larny Sandisk doesn't :tongue:

I think I'll consider the Kingston unit then. Any other brand recommendations? What about Fujitsu-Siemens? They're quite cheap here (South Africa).

7. Greg, my reader doesn't have that logo on but it has always worked fine with 2gb cards.

8. GregR

GregR

Feb 28, 2007
    Tokyo
    Are you using the 2Gb Extreme III SD card? I think that the normal 2gb SD and CF work fine.

9. Yes, I am using the Ultra II cards. I picked several of these up for $39 apiece on sale.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks for bringing this issue to light. That connected with me, because my Ultra II 2GB card is not read in my Epson P-4000 portable hard drive.

Reading about the firmware updates referenced in this post, I went on Epson's website, and downloaded latest firmware for the P-4000. It was written to solve this exact problem! Now it reads 2GB SD cards like a charm!

11. pdoes

pdoes

Aug 6, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Interesting read.
    I've got the 12-1 reader and sometimes it recognizes the Ultra II, 2GB card and sometimes it doesn't. I'll just keep inserting the card, and sometimes it's recognized. I thought it was the speed I inserted the card. Oh well, I guess in the future I'll have to insert it in the built-in reader in my laptop running Linux, no problems there, and copy the content over my network to my desktop.