Sandisk 4 gig CF card, read this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I just picked up a 4 gig Sandisk CF card from Dell. I noticed something that I did not see in the instructions and it is hard to find. On the side there is a little tiny dip switch that can be set to 4 gig fat32 or 2 gig fat 16. There are two 2 gig settings. This I believe is so that you can use the card in a camera like the D1x which does not support fat 32. In a D1x use the card set at fat 16 2 gig and then when you fill this switch the card to the second fat 16 2 gig positon to get full 4 gigs. I guess this is a partioned disk.

I just wanted to share because it did not appear to be obvious and I did not see it in the manual.

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Scott,

This is interesting about the 4 GIG card. Will the new D2X do the whole 4 GIG at once? That's good information to pass along.

Thanks,

Gaye

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Scott

In the case of my 4 Gig Sandisk...you needed to format the card in the 4 gig mode in order to show the full number of shots, rather than 99 shots which is what several folks have run into.

Jim

4. Why you bacon-saver you! Thanks!

Sitting here cursing and snarling at my Ultra II 4gb card that would only read or format as 2gb. Out of desperation, I start looking everywhere for info, and find it here. Not on Sandisk's web site. And I'm looking through the materials packed with the card and I still can't find the info that explains about the dip switch.

Thanks.

5. Yes, it will. You take a small pin or end of a paper clip, unbent and move the tiny tab. You can see the settings buit they're very very small. I get 4gb.

Rich