Sandisk advice

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by threecats, Sep 17, 2008.

1. When I got the D300 I ordered the Sandisk Extreme IV UDMA cards only because I was total newbie at digital and just figured go with those. Now my question is what is the diff between these and the regular Extreme III at 1/2 the price.

I know the better one will write faster but I seldom machine gun anything. Aside from that would I be giving anything up?

glenn

about to wait forever for a rebate again

2. I'd like to know too. I bought some Extreme III and haven't opened the package and wonder if I should return them.

Marlene

3. I too bought the extreme IV 4gb cards for my D300. The speed is what your paying for. I got 2 cards - then bought an extreme III 8gb card. The difference is big. Just playing around I was able to fire off 100 RAW images without it slowing down. With the extreme III cards I can get about 16 shots before the buffer fills up.

Thats all your paying for is SPEED

4. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Also, when uploading onto your computer - if your CF card reader is UDMA capable they really do load alot faster.

5. I was reading that when comparing the specs between the two at B&H

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
  7. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Please post a message when you do...:eek:

8. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I purchased the Extreme IV primarily because of a promotion on the Extreme III and IV cards that made the difference relatively small. The promotion is only through certain retailers.

The discount increases as you buy more cards, up to three of them. I did this once before and it took about 3 months to get the rebate from Sandisk. But I did get it. One store was Beach Camera. The form you can download at that store's site lists others.

The promotion is good on purchases through 9/28.

9. stringbean98

stringbean98

Jul 8, 2008
    NYC
    I did the same as rgordin. Got three Extreme IV 4GB cards from beach camera and only ended up paying $86 total. Just got my rebate card 3 days ago. Now i have $160 to send on whatever i like! Go with the IV- at ~$28 each, it's a steal for that kind of performance.

anthony

10. I still use the antiquated 'Ultra II' cards. Can you believe it, but they actually work!

Honestly, unless you are a professional sports photographer I see no need for the latest and greatest. I got a 8 Gb Ultra II for around $40 recently. The 8 Gb 'Extreme IV' costs almost 3 times as much. In mind it's not worth it.

11. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    I hate mail-in rebates, but if you don't mind dealing with the rebates then I think the special deals on the faster cards is probably a good idea. Camera buffers will not get slower or generally have less file data to write out in the future, so I see UDMA enabled media as a reasonable investment. I have only some 2Gb Sandisk Ultra II cards now, but I intend to purchase an 8Gb 266x and a couple of 4Gb 133x cards in the near future. For my needs the Ultra II speed cards are a bargain and the majority of my storage is good at that level. One 8Gb 266x card at this time is more than enough for any potential fast shooting I might do with my D2H.

The faster cards do offer generally download quicker to the HD, but the method used to do so has a big impact. Buying the fastest CF card and using a slow interface is a waste of time. I bought the CF-to-ide interface from Adonics and use it with my old Thinkpad T23 laptop in an ultrabay replacement drive. This way the Ultra II cards transfer to the laptop HD at remarkable speeds. About 8~10 times faster than using the SanDisk reader and USB connection. After doing a preliminary review and cull of the obviously poor images, I copy everything to my desktop HD and backup HD. At that point I delete the files from the CF card. Using the CF-to-ide interface unit made far more difference in transfer speed to the PC than buying faster CF media and using USB would have done.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  12. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Mike, I think you must have a USB 1.0 connection if the IDE interface is 10 times faster!

I have an old Scandisk USB 2.0 reader, a Eagletec UDMA USB 2.0 reader, a Scandisk firewire 800 reader and an IDE-CF UDMA reader. I tested all these with Extreme IV, Adata 266X and 300X and Trenscend 300 CF cards. The IDE is not faster than firewire 800, and only a bit faster than USB2.0.

Of these the Eagletech UDMA USB is the best value. It costs $12 only and has 80-90% of the speed of the firewire Scandisk.

In my experience the new UDMA cards are much faster than older 133x or 200X cards. They can be up to 100% faster.

13. I kinda agree. I'll save money someplace else rather than risk one time shots.

14. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I currently own seven of the 4 GB IV extreme cards - bought them in two batches, with large rebates from SanDisk each time. I like the fact that whether high speed RAW capture or not - I never have to wait on my camera. Such a different experience from my P&S days - even with fast cards.

15. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    I agree, I too have a Scandisk USB 2.0 reader, but the USB connection on the older laptop is most likely 1.0. My point though is that the Ultra II cards while not that fast, still can copy data to the PC pretty quickly with the right interface. Even with 'slow' Ultra II CF media, I don't spend much time at all waiting on the file transfer with the CF-ide interface. As your tests have borne out, the IDE-CF UDMA reader is still faster than USB 2.0 and that is fairly fast. Thanks for the info about the Eagletech UDMA USB at $12. I may get one for when I connect directly to the desktop for large image file downloads via USB. I built the desktop, so I know that USB interface is 2.0.

While I try to use the 8fps capability of my D2H whenever I can find a reason to do so, I seldom bump up against the buffer limit to warrant paying 3x~4x as much for all of my cards to be the faster cards. I do appreciate the difference in speed and intend to purchase an 8Gb 266x UDMA enabled card in the near future. At the same time, I'll probably also get a couple of 4 or 8Gb 133x cards because the cost per Gb is so unbelievably cheap. The 133x cards are less than 1/3 the cost for 1/2 the speed. If the 133x cards were too slow for my needs then the cost wouldn't be very important, but they aren't that slow. If transfer time drops from 60 minutes to 30 minutes, then that is a noticable improvement, but if it goes from 3 minutes to 1-1/2 minutes, I won't notice the difference. It takes me longer than that to walk to the kitchen, open a soda or refill my coffee cup, and return to the PC.

16. There used to be a huge difference between the Extreme III & IV cards. I initially bought 3 Extreme IV 4 GB cards when I got my D300, but soon discovered that they filled up really fast...

Then I bought 2 of the Extreme III cards, the newer ones with 30 MB/s. Honestly, I can't tell much of a speed difference, and the Extreme III were half the price!

Check out Rob Galbraith's card tests for the D300:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9254

According to these tests, the new Extreme III is not far behind.

Cheers

Mike

17. Hmmmm guess I never would have guessed that a smaller card has a faster write speed. No matter to me really but interesting. So I guess the main dif in the cards is the write speed and transfer speed. I'll never worry about speed in transferring to the mac.I always have a million other things I can do beside tap my foot waiting for the upload.
    Thanks for the linkMike.

glenn

18. sjd996

sjd996

Sep 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
  19. welcome Steve and thanks for the informative first post. From it I see that if you only occasionally fire a ten shot burst or so, which would be me, there is no real diff between the III and IV. Transfer to puter speeds will be longer but that's no biggie to me.
    glenn

20. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    I haven't tried the IV yet, didn't look at the promo on these, thanks for the info.

I use the 16GB Extreme III have not had a problem on the D3 with dance when I shoot a lot.