Sandisk Extreme III or IV????? Image transfer question.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by NJDJ, May 6, 2007.

1. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    I shoot with a D2Hs and transfer images to my computer via a built in slot (reader) on my Sony Vaio computer. I currently have a 2GB Extreme III and am very happy. With the recent price reductions in CF, I am thinking of getting another card. Would I notice any difference if I get the IV? Becasue of the camera buffer, I can't image any difference there. However, I'm wondering if there would be a noticable improvement when transfering images to the computer?? Also, would the speed difference be realized since I'm using the built in card reader on the computer? Do I need the stand alone card reader that Sandisk sells to realize any speed difference?

2. doubt you will notice any difference in camera write speed and I am pretty sure you need the Sandisk reader to realize the read speed.

3. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Dave's right, without the Sandisk reader you'll be transferring at the same speed you are now.

4. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    That is great info to know. If I don't have the Sandisk stand alone reader, it makes NO sense to get the IV. There is a $20 price difference between the Extreme III and IV. :smile:

On another note, prior to the Extreme III 2 GB that I currently own, I had a Ultra II 2 GB. When I made that upgrade I felt like there was a noticable increase in speed. Again, the camera write speed seemed no different, but the transfer from card to computer was faster (using the same built-in card reader on the Sony Vaio).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.