Sandisk "rescue pro"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilles, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Did anybody use that program that is given with the memory card, is it any good?

2. got to be a reason for asking this my friend. are you in trouble??

3. Dave i am not in trouble but i have a memory card that I use in CP5700 that half of the information is no more available. I was wondering if that program is any good to recuperate the information missing.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gilles,
    Give it a try just for the heck of it. You will know for the future, if needed.

I tried it one day, "Just for the heck of it" and it did work.

However nothing was wrong with the card and I do not have any problems.

So I am not sure what conclusion I have come to if I were to have a prob. Card. One good thing is we have Patrick here and he rescued alot of stuff from an external drive that went south on me... :>)))

5. Gale i might have erase it by mistake, but the instruction coming with the disk say that it can recover delete files.

6. I've used various programs for rescuing erased data from disks, some work better than others. If the disk is only filling halfway, why not just try to reformat it to see if it'll open up the other half?

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, it's probably the same as any other image recovery utility.

When a file is "erased" - it's not actually gone. Files are like books - the system starts with page one, and keeps going until an end-of-file (EOF) marker is found. When the computer "deletes" a file, it simply moves the EOF marker to the beginning of the file, creating a nul file - the system doesn't see it, as it's a zero length file. The data between the original beginning and EOF is still intact unless you do a "secure erase" (which writes '1's between the files, then writes '0's over the '1's).

At any rate, to recover a file, all you (or the software) has to do, is locate where the EOF marker was prior to deletion and move it back. The consequence is that you lose the first letter of your filename.

All file recovery utilities work the same way - by scanning the 'blank' areas of the disk - this also works on formated drives (unless a secure format was done).

So, in answer to your query, yes rescue pro should work fine as long as the data isn't overwritten.

More sophisticated data recovery apps let you recover files with bad (unreadable) sectors in them, and files that have been partially overwritten with new data.

8. Thank you for the information, i will give it a try. One thing funny on my trip yesterday i took 3-4 photos at a lake and I can't find them on my card.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gilles :

Not a good sign. Sometimes this could mean bad sectors on the card, and a full format in a computer can map and set those sectors aside. Other times, it's a sign that card is going sour. I had this with an old 128MB card, progressively losing shots, unrecoverable, and I foolishly kept trying to "save" the card.

Now, once a card demonstrates a clear progression of failures, it's set aside for experimentation but surely not for photography.

John P.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Agreed.

12. RedFox

RedFox Guest

I tried to use Rescue Pro and it told me there were something like 5000 images on my card - which is probably correct, if you consider all the times I've used - and deleted - hundreds of images from that card.

The last time I used the card I shot over 300 images and _thought_ they'd successfully downloaded to my laptop (I was on the road) and erased the card before double-checking the file to see they were in fact there.

SO....I erased those 300-some images. At the time I didn't have an external drive to back up to so I was thinking heck no, I don't want to download 5000 or 10,000 images that I already have on here once just to get the 300 I don't.

So my question is this.....is there a way to find that last EOF marker you're referring to (I do know the approximate date I made this goof) - and thus copy the last group of files rather than the thousands I'd previously downloaded?

Thanks so much if you have a solution -- or even just for reading through all my blah, blah, blah.

RedFox

13. He may not be but I am having a devil of a time with my 2 Sandisk Ultra IIs. When I try to shoot high speed it goes to sleep...the green loading light stays on and on and on. I eventually have to pull out the battery to get the camera to turn off. Then the card corrupts and I have to use a recovery application to restore the pictutres. Ron thinks it's the cards which have failed.

Rich

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    RedFox :

Likely you will not be able to retrieve this, although I'd sincerely like to be wrong. if you've just been deleting images and not formatting the card, it's likely a worse prognosis.

This is why the "format the CF card in the camera" approach has some problems. It's very unlikely that the camera manufacturers are devoting the amount of memory space to programs that map and close out bad sectors to the level of the dedicated programs on a desktop/laptop.

I've personally had CF cards with bad sectors repeatedly formatted by the D100 and left in place, where these were tagged immediately on the computer.

And if you're seeing 5,000 images on the card, it's highly likely the majority of those are small fragments only, not recoverable. It's possible some images could be retrieved out of that number, but only a very very small fraction.

I wish I could offer better (or more optimistic) thoughts.

John P.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rich :

I think Ron's correct. That was exactly how one of my (much smaller) SanDisks failed.

However, if both are failing in a similar manner, check the serial numbers. If they're relatively close, it's entirely possible SanDisk had a bad "batch", and you would have excellent grounds to ask for a warranty replacement(s).

IMO, at least, and assuming that you're not getting the same failure mode with other cards than the SanDisk cards.

John P.

16. I tried the program on the sandisk 256 that lost half of it content, I recuperate a lot of them, and some other were like if it copied two pictures on one and a lot had no pictures. But the one i was interrested to recuperate were there.