Sandstorm from Sahara...!!!

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Panos Kazanelis, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Yesterday was a very strange day. The scenery was as if we were on Mars! A huge cloud of dark red sand covered the island of Cyprus (which is common here) with combination of high moisture (+90%), giving an extra-terrestrial sky... especially with a little help of a Graduated Grey ND Retin Filter

original.
    original.
    original.

without the Grad ND filter...
    original.

2. Perfect Panos!
    Looks like the end is nigh!

Sometimes these storms even reach C-Europe, which is especially funny in winter when the snow gets a reddish-yellow tint. But the sun-sets in these rare occasions are matchless.

3. Well, there were some elder people that told me to... stay at home :shock:
    When I asked what for, they simply laughed with me and said with eachother "he don't know"... :?
    Hmmm... the only thing that bothers me is that I didn't find out... 8)

4. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Great work Panos I like them with or without the filter

Don't stay at home,shoot whenever this occurs

5. Wonderful Lighting and Perspective.

Panos, those fist two are fabulous!
    Great work!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. I like these images Panos, especially the first one. The red sky gives an ominous feel to the picture.

7. WOW Panos. All your shots are wonderful, but the first shot is something that should be on an Inspirational poster!! WOW!! :) :) :) :) :)

8. Thanks all for your nice comments. That will ease my anger... I have to "wash" all the gear I had with me, the car, my clothes, Lambros... even my mobile phone :twisted:
    You can't imagine the places where I found sand.... (OK you can :wink: )

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Incredible shots Panos. These should be in National Geographic. 8)

Not something that you would like to subject your equipment to every day though. :?

Regards,

Frank

10. First two shots are incredible, cant say I have ever seen a sky as such?? Nicely done!

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Fantastic shots Panos!

12. Thanks all for your comments. The sandstorm is gone, but the local people say it was a ...minor one :shock:

We should expect a lot bigger and "heavier" ones. What they mean with "heavier" is when you find a blanket of sand at least 1 inch on your car!!! :shock:

If this is the case, next time I'm going out with a UW case to protect my camera... :wink:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Spectacular Panos,

Tough on the gear, and everything else from what you said. The UW sounds like a great idea, or a safe one.

Rather difficult t0 use the D100 as a throw away and take it in the shower :>)).

14. Thanks Roman, indeed the Grad ND retin filters can reveal what our eyes and cameras can't... I always cary them with me but the last year or so, it's the first time I use them.

WHAT!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: You mean I made a terrible mistake putting my D100 in my washing machine!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Hehe, it took me almost 4 hours to clean my gear, but then again sometimes I tend to be a...hypochondriac perfectionist, especially when it comes to cleaning my gear. 8)