Sandy Hook NJ Birds!

Hi All!
I had my first Nikon Cafe meet for forum members on Sunday July 31st to shoot some ospreys. Mike Mac and Gordon Large took the bait, so we met at 6:30 am at a strip mall and headed to Sandy Hook. I was really nervous that after bragging about how close these ospreys are to shoot that none would be there. Our first stop was a nest of ospreys on this yellow chimney, took many shots here of them flying over head. Our next stop was my aggressive osprey nest, she wasn’t that aggressive but we did well here. The mosquitos were killing us even with Mike’s 100% DEET. The funny thing here is that the road to the osprey nest is the same road to the nude beach so you feel like a pervert with a zoom lens around your neck as the cars heading for the nude beach pass you by.
Next stop was to shoot some egrets but they were too far away to get some decent shots. Our next stop was the bird observatory, as we were getting our gear together from the trunk of our car, this guy pulls up to us and suggested this pond, rattled off a bunch birds he just spotted there so off we went. Getting to this pond meant trekking threw this thick dense sand but was worth it! We had lunch dock side where Mike spotted his 102’ yacht but it took off without him. We had fun and I would like to do it again.

Anthony

Below are a few shots from that pond:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice captures, Anthony. You make shooting birds look so easy. I assume that you shot using the 70-200mm and a TC? I have had no success shooting birds, but I am inspired to get out and give another try someday soon. You had great success...thanks for sharing!

EXCELLENT
Very well done wasn't that pond fun, Tony thanks again you were a great host and it was everything you said it would be, hopefully we can hook up in the near future

eng45ine said:
Very nice captures, Anthony. You make shooting birds look so easy. I assume that you shot using the 70-200mm and a TC? I have had no success shooting birds, but I am inspired to get out and give another try someday soon. You had great success...thanks for sharing!
Hi eng45ine, No TC just the 70-200mm. These birds were close to us.

Anthony

mike mac said:
EXCELLENT
Very well done wasn't that pond fun, Tony thanks again you were a great host and it was everything you said it would be, hopefully we can hook up in the near future
Thanks Mike, Anytime you want to hook up just let me know...Fall migration should be wild :wink:

Anthony

G

Gordon Large

Hey Tony -

Thes are great shots. While I'm glad I got some flight practice with my long glass and tripod, I'm convinced that handheld medium telephote is the way to go. On those geese you were firing away while I was still setting up! :oops:

All in all, a great day!

Gordon

Excellent series Anthony. Glad to see that you found Mike and Gordon some birdies to shoot. Wish I could have been there with you. Not much going on down here this weekend.

Flew said:
Excellent series Anthony. Glad to see that you found Mike and Gordon some birdies to shoot. Wish I could have been there with you. Not much going on down here this weekend.
Frank your always welcome up here in Jersey to photograph them!

Anthony

Anthony747 said:
Flew said:
Frank your always welcome up here in Jersey to photograph them!

Anthony
Kind of a long drive for a weekend (I did it once though :roll:). I agree with you and Kevin on the gulls. They make excellent practice targets, and are very graceful birds.

tony,

Really nice shots.

Yes I like gulls also, and Pelicans and and and and and....lololol

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom