Sanibel Adventure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Dec 23, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I just want to relate my experience this morning at Sanibel. I was to meet a forum member at the Sanibel Lighthouse/fishing pier early this morning. It was cold as heck and required much bundling up. (45 degrees is cold in Florida). I marched over to the beach carrying the 200-400VR on a tripod/Wimberley. Got there and found no birds,only one fisherman, high tide and very cold...I knew I had to shoot some pictures so here they are.

I DIDN'T GET DUST BUNNIES OUT OF PICTURES::Clown:

Finally an Osprey flew into the nest not far from me so I got some shots of him. It got colder and my hands froze and I couldn't click the shutter so I quit. Here's the lonely, cold fisherman,the Osprey and the Sanibel lighthouse.

You can see how desperate I was for pictures...and coffee:smile:

Happy Holidays to you all,

Gaye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Happy Christmas to you too Gale, and thanks for the view of Sanibel. How are the little dogs? I hope you are keeping them warm.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gaye,
    Those images are teriffic.

Osprey is spot on Gal....

OK where are the rest of them.

Did you Find Gordon ???????

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Patrick,

Happy Christmas to you also! I hope you and your family enjoy every minute of the fun at this time of year. We have many kids but not a one can get down here for this holiday....Our little doggies are just fine and here they are in the sink again. Picture taken with the new 18-200VR. It's a nice lens!

[​IMG]

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gale,
    Here's the beach with no birds on it. You can see how desperate I was to get images. You can almost see that very early morning sun coming in on the little waves and foam.

The battery and battery door dropped out of my D2X and when I got home I realized it.. So we just went back over to Sanibel (two hours) and believe it or not I FOUND IT in the sandy walkway. I couldn't believe it..and very lucky because Nikon said they'd have to have the whole camera back to replace that part of the camera. Now I"m happy but I've spent the entire day driving back and forth to Sanibel.

Thanks for you nice comments.
    Happy Holidays!
    Gaye

[​IMG]

6. Gaye, this is an awfully cute picture of your dogs! You found a pretty good photo op here. Great example of what the 18-200 VR can do! Which camera were you using with it?

Warmest wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Virginia,

I used the D2X with the 18-200VR lens. It takes good pictures. Glad you liked this doggie picture. They're pretty cute guys.

Happy Holidays!

Gaye

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah Gaye,
    That beach does look a bit empty this morning :<<<

To bad. But that happens sometimes. The image is nice though :>))) Empty or not.

Again those pups are adorable and great shot.

9. Wow, that IS cold!!! 45F!!!?? It's above freezing and raining here and we're 2,500 kms north of you!!! Nice capture of the osprey but looking at that guy bundled up in a parka makes me glad I'm not there and shivering!! *LOL*

Love the pic of the boys in the sink, so cute!

10. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,
    I love the fisher-person shot, it speaks volumes about going-out early, and alone, on an outing. Especially like the fact that the person's face does not show - we do not need to see it to get the effect. The orange parka is a nice touch of color in an otherwise monochrome composition.
    Well done!
    By the way: I went out shooting Thursday in 18 degree weather!!!
    Robert

FYI: In case you have not noticed them, there are some dust spots in the sky.

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Robert,
    I really appreciate your nice comments about that fisherman picture. I agree that it does tell a story. AND how long did you stay out shooting in 18 degree weather. I had no gloves so my hands froze. That doesn't happen often in Florida :smile:

I was in such a hurry to put my pictures up that I forgot about all the dust bunnies. I see them too and must get busy on them. Actually I must clean my sensor and that will happen this weekend after Xmas dinner. I should go right from cleaning the turkey to cleaning the sensor :biggrin:

Thanks again,

Gaye

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ahh, ya big wuss!

Put some gloves on and get back out there! Seriously, nice shot of the Osprey and Lighthouse. I know the felling when ya just gotta get out there and get your picture takin' fix
    !

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Sandi,
    Happy Holidays to you!
    We don't have this kind of cold often so come on down.
    Thanks for your comments. AND you can imagine how happy I was to have that Osprey fly into the nest. It was the only bird I saw out there.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

I would have killed for some toasty 45 degree temps yesterday. It was 22 when I got to the Eagles nest yesterday. Of course I had about 4 layers of warm clothes on top of long johns. :biggrin:

Nice pics. Glad you found your battery door. I got a spare as soon as I got my cam. I didn't want a little piece of plastic to ruin a trip to Sanibel or Viera (not only can they get lost, but they can break). :rolleyes:

15. Gaye...I would say that the trip back to Sanibel was worth it to find your battery cover and battery. I would do that too if it meant finding any piece I lost from my D2X.

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Steve,

You are so right. I just needed gloves...It was my hands that were cold.

Hope you're enjoying living in Florida. I know your doggies like it. There's green grass all year round :smile:

Happy New Year and enjoy your holiday! AND thanks for nice comments,

Gaye

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,
    I can visualize you out there with those layers of clothes. Can you actually click the shutter button with cold hands or with big gloves on? Yesterday I coudln't even unscrew the camera from the Wimberley.

Happy Holidays to you and Janie and thanks for starting and maintaining this great site. You and Patrick sure had a good idea with this one..and also hope you got plenty of contributions so you can keep it going.

Thanks and have fun shooting those cold birds,

Gaye

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2005
  18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Melissa,
    I hope you have a very happy holiday and new year 2006. AND know you'll enjoy the Merritt Island shoot when you get down here.

Gaye

19. Happy Christmas and Have a Good New Year!!
    Those pups are absolutely adorable!!

20. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Anne Di,

Thanks for stopping to make the cute comment about the doggies. They really are adorable and they are my best models...so you'll see many more pictures of them in the future.

The kennel owner ( www.sdandi.com) is coming tomorrow for Christmas dinner and she's bringing 4 or 5 twelve week old puppies...Oh my goodness.. do you think I can control myself:smile:

I think 'puppy lust' is as bad as 'lens lust' and just as expensive.

Happy Holidays and thanks again,

Gaye