Sanibel - December 23-28

G

Gordon Large

I'm going to be in Sanibel for six days over the holidays. I think I could walk the road at Ding Darling with my eyes closed, but what other good bird photography areas are there in SW Florida? Anybody want to get together for a day or couple of days of shooting? Don't worry about missing family gatherings or parties. After all, which is more important - a dead turkey on a plate, or a live tri-color posing for you?

Gordon Large

THere's a great area, plug this into GoogleEarth 26.39429 -81.87465 Carl E Johnson County Park.
Also Barefoot Beach Preserve 26.29911 -81.83292. If you want, you can rent a kayak at
Estero River Tackle, Kayak & Canoe Outfitters
20991 S. Tamiami Trail
Estero, FL 33928
Phone: 1-239-992-4050

You can rent a Perception Sundance 12' Airalite with a 51" cockpit which is excellent for bird shooting!!!

Check out my Florida 2004 gallery for examples of birds there, GBHs, pelicans, osprey, roseate spoonbills, even had some dolphins playing around my boat early one morning. If you decide to kayak, let me know and I'll give you the locations of some easy put-in spots.

G

Gordon Large

TOLady said:
THere's a great area, plug this into GoogleEarth 26.39429 -81.87465 Carl E Johnson County Park.
Also Barefoot Beach Preserve 26.29911 -81.83292. If you want, you can rent a kayak at
Estero River Tackle, Kayak & Canoe Outfitters
20991 S. Tamiami Trail
Estero, FL 33928
Phone: 1-239-992-4050

You can rent a Perception Sundance 12' Airalite with a 51" cockpit which is excellent for bird shooting!!!

Check out my Florida 2004 gallery for examples of birds there, GBHs, pelicans, osprey, roseate spoonbills, even had some dolphins playing around my boat early one morning. If you decide to kayak, let me know and I'll give you the locations of some easy put-in spots.

Thanks Sandi. This is great info! I'm not sure I have the guts to take expensive gear out in a kayak though. When you go out, do you carry your gear in a waterproof case and take it out only for shots?

Gordon

Yes, a Pelican box, or roll-over water proof bags are just great for this. I only put it into the waterproof cases when paddling across channels or out on open water. If I'm in calm waters with no threat of waterskiiers (see Doug Barber's earlier post *LOL*), then I'll just place it on the bottom of the kayak with a towel over it for paddle splash.
Trust me, the shots you'll get of birds from a kayak are amazing. Kayaks are far more stable than canoes, in my opinion, as you sit right down on the bottom so your backside provides the stability.

I went to Sanibel a couple of years ago to visit my sister. While there I went on one of the kayak trips. Plenty of chances to catch ospreys dive bombing fish. Unfortunately this was before my camera days.
My sister worked at the wildlife rehab hospital (C.R.O.W.).
http://www.crowclinic.org/index.cfm
If remember right, they give tours, but I could be wrong there. Might be a good chance to get up close to some birds.

G

Gordon Large

cknight said:
I went to Sanibel a couple of years ago to visit my sister. While there I went on one of the kayak trips. Plenty of chances to catch ospreys dive bombing fish. Unfortunately this was before my camera days.
My sister worked at the wildlife rehab hospital (C.R.O.W.).
http://www.crowclinic.org/index.cfm
If remember right, they give tours, but I could be wrong there. Might be a good chance to get up close to some birds.

Thanks Chris. I've only driven past CROW maybe 50 times over the years and never visited or even known what they do. I just checked out their web site, and I won't drive by again without stopping to see the place.

Gordon

Latest threads

Top Bottom