Sanibel Island, FL

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by sam821, Jul 10, 2008.

1. It was my one year wedding anniversary last weekend and my wife and I relaxed in Sanibel Island... Self proclaimed shell capital of the world. (I think they definitely deserve the title, at least in the US)

Here are a few photos below... Enjoy!

Pretty neat photo with the sun setting on the sandbar/water
    2657274270_b7b4c5cde5_b.png

a boat anchored down...
    View attachment 216980

low tide with Ft. Meyers Beach in the background
    View attachment 216982

Rainbow came out after storm... (Notice the dust specks in the photo? :frown:
    View attachment 216984

Sun setting on Sanibel's Beach in low tide
    2657281198_7754b98dab_b.jpg

We have lift off.... I chased this gull until I got a decent shot off!
    View attachment 216986

This guys tent was no match for the storm that was coming
    View attachment 216991

Lighthouse at Sanibel
    View attachment 216994

Causeway to enter Sanibel
    View attachment 216995

Some random dude fishing off the beach
    View attachment 216996

So now you see why this is the shell capital...
    View attachment 216997

You can check out a few more at my flickr site! Thanks!

2. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Thats a lot of shells!! Nice pics and glad to hear you got the dust off the sensor (other thread I was reading).

These pictures make me anxious for my trip to the beach in a couple weeks. I will definitely be leaving one lens on the whole time unless I'm in the house to change them.

3. Thanks Jordan... based on your lenses in your sig. I would see you mainly using the 18-135 a majority of the time, but definitely take the 70-200 out there a few times to get some nice zoom shots!

4. pretty series
    looks like you had a wonderful time
    sanibel is a very pretty area

thanks for sharing these with us

5. Thank you!

I see your from Clearwater, I was one mouse click away from going to Clearwater Beach rather than Sanibel. I was supposed to stay at the Sheraton Sand Resort, but changed my mind at the last minute. I will be planning a trip to Clearwater one of these days.

6. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Seeing the shots from Sanibel really brings back memories. My parents used to take us there for our summer vacation (we went at least 5 years in a row) and I hadn't been back in over 10 years when my wife and I drove down there one day two years ago. We were just too close in Sarasota to not go. It is the shell capital of the world, and I have some amazing shells that my family collected (not to mention some pristine sand dollars) from our years in the 80's spent down there.

7. Good stuff... its funny about those shells, we walked up and down the beaches looking for shells where we were staying and didn't really have too much luck finding the ones we wanted. I did find a sand dollar but it wasn't perfectly round. It wasn't until the last day that we went closer to Captiva that I found a great spot where all the shells seem to come up. When we got there we loaded up! The shells were literally piled up 3-5 feet high! It was insane!

8. hmm
    i can SEE the sheraton sand key from the end of my street
    great place to say
    a longer drive from miami, of course
    Rusty's.... the better restaurant there.... is quite excellent
    and Sand key has been in the top 10 beaches in the continental US for a long time

i hope that you will make the trip one day

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are beautiful Jose. Nice work - I'd love this visit SI.

10. I will hit that beach soon. Just need the excuse! :biggrin:

Thank you Fred! Its definitely worth a trip there.

11. Nice series- my kids would go crazy for all those shells!

12. Thank you! definitely a great area for kids... there were lots of kids fighting me for shells..hehe