Sanshou Training

I snapped a few shots this weekend at a sanshou training. (Sanshou is a fighting system that involves hands, feet, and takedowns).

1. Trainers
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Warming up

3. The fight

4. Between rounds

5. Are you next!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of Sanshou before. Nice series, Dossy. I hope you will keep at it and try some slow-motion, multiple exposure shots... Just an idea in my head. There is so much potential with this subject.

Tri:smile:

Good shots - I like #2 :biggrin:
Thanks Al!
I have never heard of Sanshou before. Nice series, Dossy. I hope you will keep at it and try some slow-motion, multiple exposure shots... Just an idea in my head. There is so much potential with this subject.

That would be interesting, Tri. I usually don't use a tripod in these situations because I move around the mats; but that has definite possibilities. I've done slow shutter speed shots, but never multiple eposures. Any how-to reference materials?

In your case, since you have to shoot in existing light condition and no possibility of slow-sync flash photography, I would shoot on manual (to get consistent exposures) and make composites of 2 to 3 shots in Photoshop. After that, a whole lot of burning to darken the irrelevant details in the background and make the subject pop. It is always a lot of experimentation with me and that is the fun part of it! I am sure, someone in the forum may have a better idea. I wish I could post some composites I did with a model/dancer to give you an idea. Well you can look though my website's "Fine Art Gallery," on page 5, the lady with the red fabric. The password is buffy. I can safely assume that you are over 18, can I not???

In your case, since you have to shoot in existing light condition and no possibility of slow-sync flash photography, I would shoot on manual (to get consistent exposures) and make composites of 2 to 3 shots in Photoshop. After that, a whole lot of burning to darken the irrelevant details in the background and make the subject pop. It is always a lot of experimentation with me and that is the fun part of it! I am sure, someone in the forum may have a better idea. I wish I could post some composites I did with a model/dancer to give you an idea. Well you can look though my website's "Fine Art Gallery," on page 5, the lady with the red fabric. The password is buffy. I can safely assume that you are over 18, can I not???

I checked out your website, beautiful shots. I had posted this some time ago (one of my first bw):

I had a mostly dark background to begin with so I just needed a little "fixing." I prefer dark backgrounds. I'm new to CS5, so I'm going to check out my book (I have the Kelby one) on burning. Again, Tri, I so appreciate your advice and your time.

I checked out your website, beautiful shots. I had posted this some time ago (one of my first bw):
http://dossy.smugmug.com/BlackandWhite/Martial-Arts-in-black-and/DSC4356-3edited-1/1098202737_pBjBU-L.jpg
I had a mostly dark background to begin with so I just needed a little "fixing." I prefer dark backgrounds. I'm new to CS5, so I'm going to check out my book (I have the Kelby one) on burning. Again, Tri, I so appreciate your advice and your time.
That looks a lot like Barry McGuigan...

http://dossy.smugmug.com/BlackandWhite/Martial-Arts-in-black-and/DSC4356-3edited-1/1098202737_pBjBU-L.jpg
Excellent capture of the intensity of the fighter. You will have fun with CS5. I am still at the kindergarten stage with it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom