1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Santa Cruz Island - Channel Islands NP

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by seabee1999, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Over the Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I camped out on Santa Cruz Island of Channel Islands Nat. Park. It is a fairly large island and one full 24 hr period was not enough to see all that was there, especially in the back country. The time that we were there the winds were exceptionally strong (gusting upwards to 20mph on Mon). Tuesday was the best time for me to walk around and shoot but still winds were sustained at about 10mph or so throughout the day. Here are the few shots I came away with that I liked. Enjoy.

God Bless,
    David

D2xs and 12-24 f/4

i-mMbLHWQ-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-F2NLtJ5-L.jpg

i-TVXdnqQ-L.jpg

2. gabrielh

gabrielh

Dec 9, 2008
    Belgium
    I like them! The first one is my favorite, great colours! Thanks for sharing!

3. TomS

TomS

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow, I also really like the first one. Looks like it was taken in Wyoming.
    You made a couple of sweet images!

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Nice! I like #2...!

5. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    David, nice set indeed!
    Normally I'm not a big fan of BW, but you made a very good one with #2!

6. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I will add another vote for #2.

7. Well done David :smile:

8. I said I liked the first one.. but then I scrolled to the 2nd one and liked it even more!
    My favorite is definitely #2, a very emphatic, yet peaceful image.
    Good shooting, David.

9. Thank you Gabriel. I am glad you liked the color one. I am beginning to appreciate color again.

Thank you Tom. The part of the island I was on was actually a sheep ranch for a very long time. In some ways, it does seem like a place you'd typically see in Utah or Wyoming.

Thanks Karen. The second one is a personal favorite of mine as well.

Thanks Rob. I am glad you enjoyed the second one as a b&w.

Thank you John.

Many thanks Dez. They were fun to shoot.

Thank you for looking Joseph and looking further in the set as well. To be honest, I was disappointed in going there to shoot in some ways. Mostly because of the lack of time and windy conditions. I am glad that I was able to come back with a few keepers.

God Bless,
    David

10. ourabmen

ourabmen

Feb 28, 2009
    OK, USA
    great shots, love the black and white!

11. David, excellent shots! As others have said, I love the first 2 for different reasons. I have never heard of Channel Islands NP... you said it is on the largest island? You get there by the same boats that take you to Catalina? I am VERY interested!

12. digipix

digipix Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Alvin
    Nice shots. Esp #2.

I've been to Santa Cruz Is. once before for a day trip. It's my intention
    to go back and explore some of the other islands some day.

Visiting the islands is like going back to old California.

Cheers
    Alvin

13. Many thanks, the b&w ones are my favorites as well.

Thanks for looking Shaun. As for the Channel Islands NP, it actually cover 4 or five inlands off the coast of Ventura w/ Santa Cruz being the largest of the chain. As for getting there, you do so by boat but not the same ones that take you to Catalina. It is an interesting place and one I hope to explore more in the coming year or so.

Thanks Alvin. You are right, it is like stepping back in time there.

God Bless,
    David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.