Critique Santa Fe National Cemetery

The Santa Fe National Cemetery opened in 1870 and has 60,000 interments. Here are a few pictures from my visit last month:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3754894829-5.jpg

p3754894825-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...next up, the New Mexico State Capitol.

Glenn

Attachments

Last edited:
The last one works really well for me and by far the best for me. Its simplicity (admittedly, I'm partial to simplicity) is so effective. No decorations, no clouds in the sky, etc and that really does the trick for me.

In the first one, it takes me too long to determine the primary subjects. That's because the dark stones in the bottom right corner pull my eye away. Then I notice the grey decoration at the left side of the frame. Last, I wonder if the image wouldn't be better with everything in focus because the one part that is sharp still doesn't jump out at me even though it is sharp.

I like the second one but that tree against the plain sky makes me crave wanting to see it in monochrome.

In the third one I can't tell what you want to be grabbing my eye -- the red flowers, the gold leaves, both or something else?

Again, that last one is really nice for the reasons I already mentioned.

The last one works really well for me and by far the best for me. Its simplicity (admittedly, I'm partial to simplicity) is so effective. No decorations, no clouds in the sky, etc and that really does the trick for me.

In the first one, it takes me too long to determine the primary subjects. That's because the dark stones in the bottom right corner pull my eye away. Then I notice the grey decoration at the left side of the frame. Last, I wonder if the image wouldn't be better with everything in focus because the one part that is sharp still doesn't jump out at me even though it is sharp.

I like the second one but that tree against the plain sky makes me crave wanting to see it in monochrome.

In the third one I can't tell what you want to be grabbing my eye -- the red flowers, the gold leaves, both or something else?

Again, that last one is really nice for the reasons I already mentioned.
Thanks Mike...I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide input!

I agree with all of your comments. #4 is my favorite for all the reasons you mentioned. I thought #1 had the most potential because I like the diagonal positioning of the tombstones and how they continue over the hill--implying that they go on forever. But, despite practically running to get into position, the shadows from the trees (the sun was quickly dropping in the horizon) started to creep into the scene. So, the darkness of those particular tombstones is a result of the shadow...which quickly engulfed far more of the scene in the next 15 minutes.

I wished for clouds when composing #2...but didn't get any for several days of my New Mexico road trip...until I started shooting birds in flight at Bosque against flat, gray skies! Not good.

I was kind of hoping that the red flowers might carry #3 enough...but it's not happening, is it? :)

Although is isn't easy to get a lot in focus when shooting at 500mm, I did have a 9 exposure focus stacked image for #1 in reserve...so here's that one:

p3754916184-5.jpg

Thanks again...
Glenn

PS...the images just aren't nearly as sharp when I view them here on the Cafe for some reason. The same images are far sharper, even downsized, before I link them here. Kind of a shame.

I love the challenge of shooting in cemeteries. Never seem to have a long lens with me, so these are all a treat to look at. I too like the simplicity of #4 (admittedly I'm under MIke's influence) but #3 works with me too, mostly---the red flowers are key, but the other 2 plants steal a lot of the stage.
Nice work!

I love the challenge of shooting in cemeteries. Never seem to have a long lens with me, so these are all a treat to look at. I too like the simplicity of #4 (admittedly I'm under MIke's influence) but #3 works with me too, mostly---the red flowers are key, but the other 2 plants steal a lot of the stage.
Nice work!
Thanks Nick...I appreciate the input.
If you crop the revision of the first one to eliminate the two gravestones in shadow and then digitally remove the grey thing at the left frame, you've got a 10,000% improvement and a photo well worth keeping.
Thanks Mike...I reworked the first image with your suggestions and think I ended up with a stronger image:

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom