Santa Ines Mission, Solvang CA - color images added

My wife and I took a day trip to Solvang, CA over this past weekend to get away from having been on a 3 week field exercise. The time off was very much welcomed and my time with Leanne was needed as well. We spent Friday night in town and Saturday I woke up fairly early to shoot the mission that is in town. Here are a few sunrise shots from that time. Enjoy.

God Bless,
David

D2xs and 75-150E

i-RNRWmgW-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-GqnFcP3-L.jpg

i-QZ23CbT-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, David. Isn't that a beatiful mission? I've got a set of my own from there from a few years back. I really like your first one, reminds me of one of mine. I know you prefer mostly B&W, but if any place calls for color, to me this mission with it's golden colors does! :smile:

Nice, David. Isn't that a beatiful mission? I've got a set of my own from there from a few years back. I really like your first one, reminds me of one of mine. I know you prefer mostly B&W, but if any place calls for color, to me this mission with it's golden colors does! :smile:

Thanks Shaun. Yes, it is a beautiful mission. There was a lot to explore there, much more than I had time for. As for color, yes the golden hues were nice and perhaps I will offer up the color version of the 1st and 3rd ones later tonight. Sadly, I just don't think in color when I shoot anymore. I see shapes, patterns, forms, etc that just goes well as a b&w. I hope that can change someday.

God Bless,
David

Nice images David. The first is my favorite of the series. Glad you enjoyed.

Thanks Shaun. Yes, it is a beautiful mission. There was a lot to explore there, much more than I had time for. As for color, yes the golden hues were nice and perhaps I will offer up the color version of the 1st and 3rd ones later tonight. Sadly, I just don't think in color when I shoot anymore. I see shapes, patterns, forms, etc that just goes well as a b&w. I hope that can change someday.

God Bless,
David

That is sad... :wink: Just kidding! I wish I could see in B&W better, but I can't. I still try, though. I think to see in color is easier, though. Since you "see" in B&W more than in color, I'd suggest looking for scenes with limited colors, where one is perhaps more dominant...
1883794371_49ef8ed1a7_z.jpg
[/url] MorningArchesbordered by Reptile Guy, on Flickr[/IMG]

That is sad... :wink: Just kidding! I wish I could see in B&W better, but I can't. I still try, though. I think to see in color is easier, though. Since you "see" in B&W more than in color, I'd suggest looking for scenes with limited colors, where one is perhaps more dominant...
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/7...ckr.com/2412/1883794371_49ef8ed1a7_z.jpg?zz=1[/url] MorningArchesbordered by Reptile Guy, on Flickr[/URL]

Lovely shot Shaun. I see what you are talking about. I added the color renditions of 2 shots above as well as the color shot of the benches there. I think this is what you were talking about with regards to shooting with limited color.

God Bless,
David

i-zkDq4Nq-M.jpg

i-9CWDM23-L.jpg

i-ZH9TfHd-L.jpg

These are exquisite, David. I actually like both versions!!

Many thanks Lyndee. The color versions are slowly warming up to me.

Ahoy professor,

looks like you are getting around a bit.. nice shots.. one of these days i will get out there...

Thanks Eric. You should try to get up there. It is a gorgeous area overall. I think you'd have fun.

God Bless,
David

David, I know it's just my opinion, but to me, the color version of the arches is soooo much better... more depth, and the feeling of warmth makes me want to go back! :smile:

Real Name
Alvin
Nice set, I really like the patterns of the arches.

I've lived in California my entire life and have never been to
Mission Santa Ynez.

Have you ever been to Mission San Antonio de Padua? That's
my favorite mission because it's out in the boonies of Fort Hunter
Liggett.

Alvin

David, I know it's just my opinion, but to me, the color version of the arches is soooo much better... more depth, and the feeling of warmth makes me want to go back! :smile:

Thanks Shaun. Opinions are good and I am starting to warm up more and more to the color side of these images. :smile:

Nice set, I really like the patterns of the arches.

I've lived in California my entire life and have never been to
Mission Santa Ynez.

Have you ever been to Mission San Antonio de Padua? That's
my favorite mission because it's out in the boonies of Fort Hunter
Liggett.

Alvin

Thanks Alvin. The mission there in Solvang is really cool. It is small but there is a lot to shoot while there. As for the mission in Hunter Liggett, I have driven past that one many times, mostly in the back of some large troop carrying vehicle. I have never had the time to stop and see or photograph it at all sadly.

Very nice, but I like the color much better.

Thanks James. I feel the color one is winning out.

Thanks Dez.

I have to agree. As much as David is Mr. B&W, the color ones here just speak to me a lot more.

Thanks Pete. I am glad the color ones are able to resonate with you.

God Bless,
David

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom