Sao Pedro Villagers (Cape Verde)

Discussion in 'People' started by antsplan, Aug 12, 2008.

1. For those unaware, as I was myself prior to visiting, Cape Verde is an archipelago of ten Islands off the west coast of Africa (Senegal). Its under going massive development to become the next big holiday destination and I was lucky to get the chance to go shoot there for a client. These are a few personal images from the trip. Loads more to come.

Sao Pedro Village, Sao Vicente Island
    2756668610_9783fde644_o.

Sao Pedro Village, Sao Vicente Island
    2754324677_c8ac91d126_o.

This is actually a different Island - Boavista - The kids were all playing on the beach and wanted their picture taken when they saw the camera.

2711772442_1f58bc5083_o.

2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Thanks for sharing............I like photo #2 from your series, it's very strong. Try converting it to a black and white photo to see what kind of effect you might get.

3. Thanks for the comment Mark and also the suggestion I may do that.

My favourite is #1 but I think I may go for a closer crop. All of the shots above are as out of camera but there is so much extra detail in #1 that can really only be seen viewed large or zoomed in. Perhaps a closer crop may work better for that one.

Thanks again.

4. anthony,
    very nice shot
    i'd love to see and HEAR more about your time there
    thanks for sharing

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Very Nice Shots! I Have Many Cape Verdean Friends Here In Boston!!

6. Great shots....#2 in particular.

7. Great shots! Just wondering what your settings and post production techniques you used?

8. These are great! My favorite is #2 because it conveys how innocent one can be at that age.

9. Thank you all sincerely for you comments, they are very much appreciated.

@Jonathan F/2 - The exif data shoud be embedded within each image so if you have an exif viewer (Opanda IEXIF is good and free) you should be able to right click on each image and pick the camera settings up from there. All pretty much fairly wide open or a stop or two stepped down. The first two are shot on the 50 f1.8 and the third a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 - to be honest it was just what I happened to have on the camera at the time. I found that it was better to try and show the camera (askingly) and then quickly shoot in order not to have too posed an expression. I'd then show the people the shot and have a chat with them, and they were very pleased to see their photo. If I spent too much time asking can I take your picture, blah, blah they tended to get a little rigid or pull a ridiculous smile. LOL

Post processing on the first two is similar, various basic adjustments in ACR, then over to CS3. I do a highlights/shadows tweak and then trialled out a new plugin on these two known as Topaz Adjust.

Topaz is very similar (from what I have saw so far) to the Lucis Art plugin but a lot less expensive.

I used the edgy portrait preset, which adds a lot of detail very similar to extreme High pass settings. This was on a duplicate layer back in CS3, i then added a layer mask, hit ctrl & i to invert this and painted back in the Topaz preset to the subject only. The Topaz layer was very extreme and I reduced the opacity significantly.

#2 had an additional few steps where I added a desaturated layer again reduced the opacity to where I had a little colour in the b/g then added a layer mask and painted back even more of the colour on my main subject. I'm looking at my masking just now and its in need of some real tweaking as it could be much better.

#3 was a pretty dull day at the beach and so I used a colour pop technique I learned at Flickr from a master retoucher Alan Geggler. Its essentially working in Lab Colour to pop the colours and also a lab sharpening technique before converting back to RGB. Alan has actually written a very nice action for the public domain which I'd be happy to share or post a link to should you wish to use it although I use a slightly modified version based on Alans original.

All three images were then probably sharpened using USM with fairly liberal settings.

Thanks for your questions and I hope this helps. Any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Best wishes
    Anthony

10. Renate

Renate Guest

What a interesting trip that must have been, and great pictures,

Renate

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.