Saturday at the beach

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by yamo, Aug 10, 2008.

1. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Folks,

Greetings. A couple shots of the main beach at Santa Cruz, CA on a nice sunny (it's often foggy here in the summer) Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been working on color and processing (er, gimmicks :wink:)  lately... What do you think?

mid-afternoon, full sun, beach shots

Cheers,

-Yamo-

2. looks like it was shot with a PC LENS
    i love these
    cool effect

so....
    tell us more, yamo...... please

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I like the effect on the first one a lot.

4. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I really like the effect on these, very cool shots

5. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Greg, Paul, Lisa,

Thanks much...

Ah, it is a simulated PC lens :wink: a simulated 340mm PC lens (200f2 + TC17IIE)... long telephoto perspective with shallow dof :wink:

The color (which I'm really happy with) is managed with individual channel adjustments with CMYK curves. I think this will be part of my high processing standard repertoire. First photos I've processed of the beach that actually look (to me) like the beach in mid-day... You have to really bring down the cyan. It's also kind fun to simultaneously give everyone on the beach a nice tan :wink: (though I backed off a bit from that in the posted photo).

The PC effect is done with gaussian blur masked with a gradient, essentially simulating a shallow dof. One needs to do this at least twice (foreground and background). The first shot was done with 4 such layers (2 horizontal top and bottom and 2 diagonally across about 1/3 of the frame). Tried to set the "focal plane" a little in front of the life guard station. The volleyball shot was at a flat angle so just top and bottom of the frame (this shot was closer and shot wide open so there was some native shallow dof that is just accentuated).

Oh, also some sharpening (high pass and unsharp mask)...

I've not been wild about gratuitous PSing but at least I'm simulating a lens that doesn't exist :wink:

Cheers,

-Yamo-

6. yeah.....
    great explanation
    i appreciate it, yamo.
    VERY WELL DONE, sir

7. SpoonFed

SpoonFed

Jul 19, 2008
    Bay Area
    great shots @ the boardwalk. I was actually there a few weeks ago but I didn't bring my camera... I was afraid of sand getting everywhere (which it did on my P&S and cell phone when I dropped them)

8. Love the effects in the pics, gives them that "toy" look. Haven't been to SC in a long time, that boardwalk is a blast, used to love the tennis ball cannons.

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice images. Girls in bikinis are my fav :) 

10. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Yamo,

thanks for these great shots. Also, thanks for sharing the post production details.

11. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Folks,

Greetings. Thanks to all for the nice comments.

RFC, uh, you're supposed to comment on the great, er, volleyball form :wink: (Actually, you have to be darn near a pro to play volleyball on the Santa Cruz main beach sand volleyball courts, and she does have great, er, form :biggrin:) 

And, about the style, not the best description but see for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_miniature_faking

Or some great examples:

http://digital-artist-toolbox.com/?p=24

or Olivo Barbieri's work... referenced here:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/27/photographer-takes-p.html

Cheers,

-Yamo-

12. These are excellent shots and I want to join the others in congratulating you for such beautiful work.
    Thank you kindly also for the explanation on post processing.
    Very nicely done.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

13. That first shot is heaven. Nice work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.