Saturday D2X Owls

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jfenton, Mar 5, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Well..they were a fair piece further away t day but I did manage to catch a few in flight and looking...

These shots by the way were taken at two differnt times at a slightly different agle to the sun. Interestingly the WB worked out to the same on both in NC, yet it looks a bit diferent....

original.

View attachment 5891

I stood out there in one spot (without taking a you know what) for 4 .3 hours today. At one point, I had four owls feeding in close proximity and I've got what I think may turn out to be some pissa harrier shots which I'll get to later on.

We're supposed to have rain / snow on and off for the next 8 straight days so I wanted to make the most of it.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely wonderful shots Jim.... :lol:

I assume that these were shot with the D2X and 200-400VR, right?

All I can say is WOW!! Your long, bladder-straining wait was well worth it.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

3. What a beautiful bird. That owl is looking right at you!! :D

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank...

I would have loved a 500 today as I could have shot a tad cleaner with NO TC...but these ain't bad!

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    PD...Beautiful isn't th word for these creatures...and their expressions and inquisitiveness is priceless!

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm in awe!

7. "Not bad"... jeez.

Jim, these are great! Can't wait to see the rest.

Hey, that 500 is calling your name... :)

What kind of owl is this?

8. OH MY GOSH, these are fantastic Jim. This just isn't fair that you are having all the fun. Well done and I don't even feel sorry for you having to stand in the field so long.

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    David...these are short eared owls.

Greyflash...I didn't really mind standing there :)

Jim

10. That's just UNREAL. Did they just pause in flight and have a look at you? You must be elated to have captured that action: I know I would... Great work! :D

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    They weren't paudsed at all...they were actively hunting and everytime that they'd fly buy me, they were watching me the entire time :)

Jim

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super job capturing *all* these great Raptors, Jim. Im soooo envious of your opportunities!

13. As I said

over on the dark forum.......WOW, love these shots, very very well done I coudlhear your heart thumping

14. Great

Photos of a great bird! Well done Jim. You lovin' the X? I'm tempted, but I'm waiting for now.

Jeff

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

These are sensational images. I love the way these guys look you over as they fly by. As an ex-Mass. resident, I'm really curious where you find these guys.

And Jeff -

Get it over with. You know you are going to get the D2x eventually, so you might as well get it now and start enjoying it. Just think "8". Apologies to readers who don't understand the importance of "8" to Jeff and me.

Gordon

16. Gordon...

8 and I'm in for sure... Assuming I can find one.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

OK, what with '8'.... 8)

Frank

18. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Jim,

As I also said in the "dark forum," these are nothing less than beautiful. I think you're doing just fine without the 500. (Although you might want to hear "Just think of how utterly awesome they would have been with the 500.")

Gordon and Jeff,

I'll also bite: what's with "8"?

Joel