Saturday DC Protest and Concert Photos

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mf44, Sep 26, 2005.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi folks,

I've just uploaded a limited selection of my protest stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Bush supporter at the protest:
    [​IMG]

A clash of pro-war and anti-war:
    [​IMG]

Rows of images depicted all those who were killed in Iraq:
    [​IMG]

Cindy Sheehan & Rev Jesse Jackson:
    [​IMG]

The Op: Ceasefire Concert that night:
    [​IMG]

Thievery Corporation:
    [​IMG]

Head Roc:
    [​IMG]

Ted Leo + The Pharmacists:
    [​IMG]

Most of my best stuff I'm waiting on the contract issues so this is just a small sample... :cool:

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Your photos are very good.

Plus, its nice to see both sides of the protest.

Its not often that you see pictures of the protesters and the non protesters, its usually just one or the other.

Thanks for being fair and balanced.

3. Don't want to be a stick in the mud...

...but I was just wondering how your post fits into the Forum Rules Community Standards where it states, "This forum is not a sounding board for political agendas."

It's getting late and I'm sure that somewhere along the line I'm missing the point...

Dennis

4. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Dennis, I was actually concerned about this. Should the moderators decide to, I would not have a problem with this post being removed. I refrained from posting several photos as they certainly are controversial. Like Patrick noticed, I tried to include photos of both sides.

As for my intent, I didn't post these to incite any sort of political discussion. Personally I pray that this thread doesn't turn into a debate. I've seen it many times, but I'd ask everyone to keep to comments related to the technical aspects of the photos. This was my first time shooting an event that drew over 100,000 so I was hoping for constructive criticism. One thing I already learned after just glancing at my work was that I was rather timid in getting right in people's faces.

Again, I'd like reiterate that I don't want this thread to become political in any way, and if it does, please lock or delete.

I apologize if this causes any issues.

5. I really was just...

... asking. No offense intended. I hope none was taken?

I'd also like to thank you for answering so promptly!

I wish you luck in your hopes that this doesn't turn into a political debate.

Here's me shutting up now... :rolleyes:

Dennis

6. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Dennis,

No offense taken at all. Like I said before, I, too, was worried how this would fit with the guidlines. Your post just voiced what I was wondering myself.

7. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike: Great series of photos and in my opinion perfectly suited to a thread titled "photojournalism".

You captured the event well.

8. Great photos of I would imagine a noisy and tense event.

I don't see why documenting that has anything to do with your having an agenda.

Curious though - what is that person on top of the White House doing? How about a 100% crop of that? :rolleyes: Looks like he has a tough job.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  9. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Politics not seen

Only some great images.
    Ok and one question. What WB did you use at the concert? I love the way those came out. :confused:

10. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I used Auto WB for the concert shots. My D70 shots with Auto WB weren't quite as good. The D2x nailed it though. The other problem I had was my D70 kept blowing out the red channel. I guess it doesn't have the same kind of dynamic range, or maybe it had difficulty metering. I doubt the latter, though, as I tried a few settings and finally left it on M mode with ISO 800, 1/40, and f2.8.

11. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Beezle, he's got a giant telescope to keep an eye on the crowd. When I was around the other side of the White House we got closer and you could see the sniper/spotter teams on the roof. They also had teams of guards with assault rifles and attack dogs on the lawn.

12. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks Mike. I have been having the same issue with the D70 thought it was my custom curve. I think you are right about the dynamic range.

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Blowing reds seems to be a feature of the D70 (and I believe Iliah has some things to say about countering the problem on the technical forum). Those are perfect photojournalism pictures and scream of the independent eye. Thank you for sharing.

14. Very nice series, Mike. I like the concert photos. The only 'political' issue I can see is showing the guy with the Canon :biggrin:

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Nice shots. I see you use Auto WB on the D70. How does it work for you? Did you color correct these D70 images (the first 2)? Thanks also for pointing out the red issue with the D70 - have discovered it as well.

16. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I generally leave WB on Auto all the time unless I get results that are way off. I did moderate color correction. It could use a bit more, but I was in a rush when processing these, so that'll have to do. To answer your question, I did maybe 2 minutes of adjustment on those photos (mostly because the overcast sky looked kind of ugly...).

17. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    If I may voice an opinion here... IF you are going to not allow photography of events were a certain group is voicing an opinion of a political or other nature, it's time to flat delete this topic alltogether . :mad:

I shoot a lot of protests and always do so as a neutral observer - fact is I rarely fully agree politically with the protest, but that doesn't effect my ability or desire to shoot the event in an unbiased manner and present it in the same way.

Let's not mince objectivity with "political views" PJ is a recordation of an event or a story, nothing more or less. All too often these events or stories involve politics of some sort or another. Just because someone covers such an event does not mean they are advancing a political adgena! Let's get real here people.

IF someone posts something with clear political commentary as to incite a political argument, that's one thing, and I would support the deletion of that post. OTOH, if we are going to consider a photojounalistic covering of ANY event that may or may not evoke political feelings in some people without political comment or opinions contained in the post - that is, as a straight forward recordation of an event without verbage of political adgenda a breach of forum rules, like I said, just go ahead and delete the topic all together, it's worthless.

I know some will think I'm going overboard here, but I want everyone to think clearly on the subject, hence the strong wording. I know nikoncafe wants at all costs to avoid argumentitive threads, and that's appreciated. However, photojournalism is a topic that can contain photos that evoke these emotions in people - regardless, we need to refrain from any political or other contraversial discussion, at the same time, allowing these unbiased recordations to be posted.

OK, I'm off my soap box :biggrin:

BTW, Mike, GREAT work here man... you really nailed the event - wish I was there!

18. Steve,

Mike posted his photos, I asked a question, I got an answer. That was (or should have been) the end of it.

There was no political commentary made by myself or Mike nor will there be now.

The post was not attacked or deleted by me or anyone else. He answered my question immediately and eloquently.

I appreciate your efforts to help me "think clearly on the subject" but considering you have no idea what I think, it's really not necessary.

Thanks anyway, :smile:

Dennis

PS If you feel that we should discuss this further please email me. We (or at least I) have probably already crossed the line on this forum for acceptable behavior...