Saturday LAX

OK had the same problems as topher did in his post, bluebird skies, bright sun shooting from 9:00 till 5:00 shadows in the faces through the cages...... what a PIA.
To help combat some problems I switched my metering from matrix to center weighted, this seemed to give better exposures and the need to dial in less -EV. I also set the tone compensation to less to help hold the highlights.
After the first games I realized that I will have to let the top of the helmets and parts of the uniform to blow out the whites if I wanted to see the faces at all.
I tried to position myself to keep the sun at the best place but when you have to follow the play and try to shoot all the players this is realy not always and option so I had to constantly change the EV as I moved around the field.

All shots with the D2X and the 300 2.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Mike (he says as sarcastically as possible). I'm putting my gear up for sale now :frown: :frown: .

But seriously, you held the exposures together really well and the sharpness is only something I can strive for. Just not at your level yet.

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain HOW you did these and what techniques you used. That's part of the reason we come here -- to learn.

Also to enjoy wonderful pictures like these.

Best Wishes,

Super images again Mike, but ankles man...ankles. :wink:

Center weighted is definitely the way to go in this type of light.

Great shots Mike. My favorites are numbers 9 and 10. I plan on showing them to my 6 year old. He hopes to play in about 2 more years and I know he will love your shots. By then, I hope to be half as good as you when he starts to play. I've also been trying center-weight in the bright sun and my results have been more consistent.

T

topher04r1

2,3,4 mike are fantastic...... isn't it a TON of fun to shoot lax !!!

Thanks for offering your insight on settings Mike. Your sunlight conditions were very harsh and the images still came out looking great. We will all keep the center-weighted metering option in mind when we encounter similar lighting situations.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom