Saturday night

Real Name
Chris
Over the weekend, as soon as it gets dark, mild mannered Roosevelt Street gets 'revitalized' when thousands of young people, dress up and attend the coffee shops, jazz clubs and galleries all through downtown Phoenix.

This is a really fun place to shoot. If you have a camera, everyone will pose for you. These girls probably just watch too much TV:
treschicas.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D100 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8, 1/125sec., iso3200, spot metered @ +0.33, aperture priority and no flash

If you liked this, there are more here.

Real Name
Chris
Thank you Maria and Greg! These 'people out struttin' grab shots are so fun to do! And faces, for me, are the main thing.

The woman doing her makeup is a TV news reporter. She gave ma a little bow after doing a 10-15 second "Oh my, who is watching me" bit for me. That's the cool thing about having a big camera is that your subjects are aware you are photographing them, and they can respond to being photographed.

Chris101 said:
Over the weekend, as soon as it gets dark, mild mannered Roosevelt Street gets 'revitalized' when thousands of young people, dress up and attend the coffee shops, jazz clubs and galleries all through downtown Phoenix.

This is a really fun place to shoot. If you have a camera, everyone will pose for you. These girls probably just watch too much TV:

Chris :

Nice, nice work... I really need to come hang out some place like Phoenix and shoot people. Santa Fe's a bit too crazy to be able to do this much, and some folks are more than a little crazy when they see anything other than a tourist's P&S camera around.

OTOH, I don't hang out at any of the clubs, so this may well be the problem. :lol:

John P.

Real Name
Chris
Hey - Thanks John!

I never go to the clubs (well almost never) either. These shots are all taken on the street or in some of the art galleries.

I may be going to Santa Fe this summeer for a workshop. What's fun to shoot there?

New Mexico Shooting

Chris101 said:
Hey - Thanks John!

I never go to the clubs (well almost never) either. These shots are all taken on the street or in some of the art galleries.

I may be going to Santa Fe this summeer for a workshop. What's fun to shoot there?

Chris :

Big question. The Bosque's more quiet in the summer so I don't recommend that per se, but the area around Santa Fe is incredible, with "Georgia O'Keefe country" north of us, mountains on either the west or the east, the city itself, Chaco Canyon and Bandalier National Monuments in easy driving range, Cochiti Tentrocks, Valle Grande, Taos, the Rio Grande Gorge...

... and little of that addresses how you drive here from AZ which offers such things as the VLA, Silver City area, Salt Canyon area (in AZ), Gallup, the Bisti Badlands, Shiprock, and a "few other opportunities". It also depends on what you want to shoot.

What workshop and when ? If I'm not travelling for work, maybe we can rendezvous and go out for some shooting. Or a beer.

Stay in touch and let me know what/where/when. The Cafe needs to have a Southwest chapter I'm thinking...

John P.

Real Name
Chris
PJohnP said:
Stay in touch and let me know what/where/when. The Cafe needs to have a Southwest chapter I'm thinking...

It's a chemistry instrumentation workshop. I suspect it'll be boring unless you like little plasticy experiments. I don't, but the day job, you know... :)

But I'll sure give you plenty of warning if I'm heading there. The beer, uh, photoshoot I mean sounds great!

By the way, I lived and worked in Farmington for a short while.

Chris101 said:
PJohnP said:

It's a chemistry instrumentation workshop. I suspect it'll be boring unless you like little plasticy experiments. I don't, but the day job, you know... :)

But I'll sure give you plenty of warning if I'm heading there. The beer, uh, photoshoot I mean sounds great!

By the way, I lived and worked in Farmington for a short while.
Chris :

As a chemist and a chemical engineer, that's a lot like my day job !!! In fact, I was discussing instrumentation issues with a customer on the telephone within the last hour or so. In terms of "plasticy", I'm going to be working at a large polymers facility next week. More crossovers than between us than you might have thought...

As for beer, we have a very good brewpub not far from my office. We have several other fairly good brewpubs in the city.

Lastly, if you lived in Farmington, you must have have been down to the Bisti Badlands at least once. One of my favourite locations in that part of the state...

John P.

H

Harrie Gerrits

Hi Chris,

Very nice picture.

I do like your style of photography.

Thanks for sharing.

Z

Zulu-

I really like Chica 2 and how noisy and blurred it is...

Great DOF, and the woman, well who can complain about her 8)

Thank for sharing..

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Bryan! I'm glad you enjoyed it. How's your 'vacation' going? I hope everything's on track.

Sometimes I love iso noise Christian. It adds to the non-reality of the photograph. I've even made up an art movement called Digitalism that emphasizes the digital nature of our work by exploiting it's points of breakdown like iso grain.

[img=right:af803eae36]http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/images/photos/iodinecloseup.jpg[/img:af803eae36]Harrie, thanks for recognizing my style. I've been working hard on it and hope it'll come together into a consistent statement soon. Well, no, it's really about the trip. I heard the term 'washed out look' the other day, it made me think of Goethe's theory that the eye was more sensitive, less acute and more easily fooled upon first awakening, than later in the day. I like the way things look first thing in the morning and I think my photography reflects that.

Or not. Crimeny! What am I talking about?

John, I won't be going to the trade show after all. I just bought an instrument from a competitor - a Cary 100, pulsed solid state source, scanning spectrophotometer. It's brand new technology but I'm a bit trepidatious about it's 2nm band pass. I'd prefer more resolution, but I'm hoping for good detail in the atomic orbital transitions of iodine. I can't wait to compare the Cary to this spectrophotograph of iodine I made a couple years ago using a Coolpix 950:

I think my style is evolving rapidly, and I still want to go to Santa Fe.

Chris101 said:
John, I won't be going to the trade show after all. I just bought an instrument from a competitor - a Cary 100, pulsed solid state source, scanning spectrophotometer. It's brand new technology but I'm a bit trepidatious about it's 2nm band pass. I'd prefer more resolution, but I'm hoping for good detail in the atomic orbital transitions of iodine. I can't wait to compare the Cary to this spectrophotograph of iodine I made a couple years ago using a Coolpix 950:

I think my style is evolving rapidly, and I still want to go to Santa Fe.
Chris :

Well, stay in touch. If I'm not away on a business trip, we'll do that shoot and drink that beer.

Speaking of which, I tried one last night called "Old Rasputin", a stout with 9% alcohol content. Wow. What a nice taste, and what a wallop when you've had just one !

John P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom