1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Saturn, Moon, Venus Conjunction

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by J.Alan, May 21, 2007.

1. I have been star gazing recently, due to the exceptionally clear skys. Tonight, the moon and two planets were visible together, so I tried to capture their image. The moon was really bright and is blown out, but I generally got what I wanted. Any tips for doing this better would be welcomed.

20s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso100 (straight out of camera, with added sharpening)
    (Al little lens ghosting can be seen above the stars above Venus)

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here it is without text

View attachment 96836

2. Hi Joe, neat shot with the moon and planets lined up like that. I would have probably shot two different exposures, one for the planets and one for the moon. It would be a simple matter to combine the two in post or extract the properly exposed moon and place it in the original.

3. Thanks, Gordon.

I had actually tried taking an image of the moon for the very purpose you suggested. However, in exposing for the planets, the moon was so bright it caused flare and ghosting (if those are the right terms) to the extent that pasting in the properly exposed moon was impossible without extensive photo re-work. Here is a shot of the moon (still overexposed)
    original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The only other thing I can think of is to try making a spot neutral density filter where the moon is. This might be accomplished by placing a piece of glass or plastic in front of the lens, then darkening the area in front of the moon with a marker pen, for example. But... that is a lot of work, especially for a so-so shot like the original.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very cool Joe! I love that kind of stuff, and I did not realize that Saturn had gotten in the show too. I shot some of the 1° conjunction between Luna and Venus on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Chris,

yes. I have been watching all three bodies for the last several weeks and am starting to understand their relationships in the sky. I am in great hopes of upgrading my astrophotography capability sometime this year.

I saw the same conjunstion as you had put up in your post. Way cool!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.