Savannah, Georgia

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by bear1155, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bear1155

bear1155

Jun 11, 2007
    Avila Beach, CA
    Am off to Savannah, Georgia with the 14-24, 28-70 and 70-200 (all 2.8 Nikkors) on Saturday for a week.
    Any advice on side trips, photo ops in that area. Thank You, Lance

2. All I can say is.....HURRICANE....

Switch to the weather channel and check out Hurricane Hanna. Obviously they are not 100% sure but be very very careful.

Side spots - Tybee Island, and all of the old forts in the area.

3. As Matt said your timing may be about the time the Hurricane hits.:eek:

Hopefully it doesn't ruin your trip. You will find Savannah as a beautiful place with many great photo opportunities and lots of good eats.

May I recommend Paula Deen's "The Lady & Sons"
    http://www.ladyandsons.com/:smile:

4. change your mind
    you won't be able to get there on saturday
    the city will be shut down
    plan for a monday arrival, i would suppose
    they'll be CLEANING UP ALL DAY SUNDAY...
    unless there is a drastic change in Hanna's course

[​IMG]

5. bear1155

bear1155

Jun 11, 2007
    Avila Beach, CA
    Thanks from a California Kid !!

I appreciate your warnings... Will watch this closely... Looks like a spoiler, that is for sure. I feel sorry for folks that have to face Hurricanes (or the threat of one) yearly. Regards, Lance

6. Lance -

When and if you do get there, I recommend you take a quick bus trip around the residential area....will give you specific places to shoot when you go (walking) back. There are several very pretty residential square areas that can serve as a locus for your shooting. Then there is the cemetary famous from the movies...perhaps worth doing. The downtown waterfront is a natural.

7. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I recommend River street and the area. Alot of old buildings and stairways. You won't walk 30ft before finding something to shoot. Have a great time and stay safe!

8. Don't get scared

Just Main street. There is a nice bridge, at night it is very illuminated and it looks great. You can cross the river and go to the big hotel on the other side, from there take photos of Savannah at Night....

There are a lot of old houses in downtown that also look very nice... Very old houses. Read a little bit about the history of the area..... It is very interesting.

If you extra time, drive north about 2 hours and go to Charleston..... there is a lot of history there..... They have a horse - carriage ride that takes you around the historic district that it is very nice. They have an old aircraft carrier on display.... that is great for shots.

Between Savannah and Charleston they have Hilton Head which is also a big attraction around here....

The most important thing.... Eat southern food..... they are good for the diet....

The Huricane.... yes.... be careful.... if it is bad... drive to Atlanta.... about 4:45 hours.....

Good Luck bring and umbrella
    Elliot

9. bear1155

bear1155

Jun 11, 2007
    Avila Beach, CA
    Hanna to Hit Savannah...

Being from California, I have no experience with Hurricanes. It looks like Hannah will hit Savannah on the day I am supposed to fly in (Saturday) I am assuming airports will close. Is it worth coming in the next day or do two to three days of rain follow hurricane landfalls ? Appreciate any help. regards, Lance

10. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Lance, you are really dealing with a complete unknown at this point. The way it's behaving it could bring nothing more than wind and rain, or it could easily re-intensify and bring serious destruction. My guess would be, if it hits as a cat 2 or higher, the city will be closed to non-residents for several days - at a minimum. There really won't be an accurate assessment until late tomorrow. A bit late to drastically alter your plans. Now, that said, if there is a way, you could divert two hours (less, actually) north and hit Charleston, SC - or you could go south into the GA barrier islands or even north FL. Still, the storm could easily hit either of those places and barely clip Savannah...

11. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    I left you a post on DPR regarding directions to Isle of Hope. Don't miss this short drive (4m from dwntown) and great photo ops.

12. thank goodness the storm is moving AWAY from savannah
    i'm very happy for the city.... and you

13. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Yeah, it is looking a little better - more like a day or two of heavy rain and some wind. The really cool thing about these storms is that the sky is usually absolutely indescribably blue and beautiful on the first clear day afterwards...

Make sure you factor in the ability to travel a day or two for shooting in case you get rained in. If you're equipped for wildlife shooting, check out Savannah Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. It's not as close as it sounds, but it's still an easy drive (I think like 45 minutes or so). It's NW of Savannah - actually in SC.

14. bear1155

bear1155

Jun 11, 2007
    Avila Beach, CA
    All of you here are great ! Thanks for all the advice. I went through this same cat and mouse feeling flying into Charleston last year. Again as a Californian, i really did not get it when they made me park my car off the streets and on 2nd level parking garages (or higher) that said, I, and all of us out here in the West cringe for our neighbors in the South when Hurricane season rumbles through. I am truly excited to be coming out your way Saturday (or a day or two later if conditions warrant) regards, Lance

15. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Lance, I hope the weather cooperates with your trip as Savannah is one of the most beautiful coastal cities in the south, IMHO. It is old and has lots of charm. You will have many photo opportunities there. Have fun while in Georgia! Cheers, Bill P.

16. bear1155

bear1155

Jun 11, 2007
    Avila Beach, CA
    Thanks to all ... leaving San Luis Obispo Ca at 6:00 AM tomorrow, Will be in Savannah GA by 7 PM. Hannah now seems to not be too much trouble... Ike is out there but I am quite excited to start shooting in the South come Sunday !! Kind regards, Lance

17. I don't think Hanna will bother you much if at all. Ike looks like it could be a week before it hits so I think you are going to experience some wonderful weather and a beautiful part of the country.