1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

save as JPG with ICC profile

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by TomaS, Sep 3, 2008.

1. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    This may been brought up before, but i just noticed something (make that something ELSE) peculiar about NX2. If you save a JPG you have the option to check the box "save ICC profile". If I check the box and save, the EXIF says "uncalibrated" color space. If I do NOT check the box, the EXIF data says "sRGB".
    Huh?

2. Please confirm that my understanding is correct that for web output, it doesn't matter whether the ICC profile is embedded or not. The default setting is that it is enabled and I never bother changing it.

I realize my comment is tangential, not directly related, to Tomas's post.

3. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    True up to a point.
    Web browsers are generally not color space aware and assume sRGB.
    But Firefox 3.0 IS aware (or can be if you turn it on), and I believe Safari is also.
    Besides that, many print services require JPGs in the RGB colorspace and an ICC profile.
    Besides that, it works BACKASSWARDS in NX2.:confused: :eek: :confused: 

4. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Saved in NX2 with 'ICC profile' box checked. Relevant EXIF field highlighted.

2827064931_062a2ced19.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

my first clue was when Flickr showed 'uncalibrated'. flickr reports 'sRGB' when the box is not checked.

So maybe I am missing something here. Is there some setting in NX that causes it to think I am in 'uncalibrated' color space? I took the picture in sRGB, and sRGB is my default space in the 'color management' preference.

OR.... what exactly does 'embed ICC profile' do to a JPG other than set this field to 'uncalibrated'? I am trying to figure this out not only for web saves, but also for online print labs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  5. Tomas,

When I save a .nef as a jpeg with embedded icc profile, I get the following results.

If the .nef is in Nikon sRgb color space (lower left corner of image frame) the .jpg is saved with Color Space/Representation of sRgb as viewed in Windows file properties or Opanda. If I convert the image to Nikon Adobe Rgb or Pro Photo Rgb, the jpg is saved with a color space/representation tag of "Uncalibrated" as viewed in Windows file properties.

When I view the files in Adobe Bridge (CS3). The metadata for each file properly displays a color space of RGB and the correct color profile (Nikon sRgb, Nikon Adobe, Pro-photo, etc.)

I think that Nx2 is working correctly and that it is putting the color information in the proper location (at least as far as Photoshop or Bibble goes). I don't think that what we are seeing in Opanda or Windows file properties tells the whole story, and I do not know what part of the Exif data is used by any of the color aware browsers.

For web saves in Nx2, I make sure the .nef is in Nikon sRgb before saving as a Jpeg.

Warm regards,

6. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Bill - you are a genius. That is it! You must set the Working space to 'Nikon sRGB' for NX to set the Color Space EXIF field to sRGB. I was using 'sRG IEC61966-2.1', which i thought was more universal and so more compatible. but that one sets the color space field to 'uncalibrated'. as does 'Nikon Adobe RGB' and 'Adobe RGB (1998)'. Those are all that i have tested, but this seems to be a problem in my mind at least. I am going to use the 'Nikon sRGB' space and hope that works as intended.
    Thanks Bill!

7. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    TomTom - I am not 'mixing up' any containers. NX is writing 'uncalibrated' in the "Camera: Color Space" container. If the container is intended to show the 'in camera' setting, shouldn't NX leave it set to 'sRGB' or 'aRGB', not change it to 'uncalibrated'?
    I have found out what I needed to know, and will now move on to other NX features that make me wonder how much I still do not understand.:eek: 

8. You are welcome Tomas,

Though, I believe that my wife will quickly take issue with the "genius" part :smile:

Tom Tom is correct in saying that there are different "containers" or regions of the EXIF data encoded in JPG files. Certainly the fact that Opanda and Windows show one thing while Adobe CS3 shows another, tells us that the data resides in different places in the file.

If you are interested check out the Wikipedia Article on EXIF. EXIF is a rather loose standard and because of how it is encoded in the file the EXIF data can get changed or lost when the file is saved during editing.

For example, CS3 loses some of the lens descriptive data when it saves a Nikon created JPEG. It remembers the focal length and aperture, but it loses the 50mm f/1.4 part that describes the lens used (at least in Adobe Lightroom 1.x and 2)

As a software developer, I would not be surprised to find that Adobe and others have to maintain lookup tables to properly interpret the different data elements of the EXIF data embedded in files output by different cameras and software packages.

In any case, there is an eminently practical solution to the issue and that is to set CNX2 to Nikon sRGB as you have done already.

Warm regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.