Very nice Kurt! Sounds like you are becoming a light convert.
btw, I shot the ice hockey state finasl this weekend. Talk about a cluster you know what. There were about 8 photographers that had set up lights. Since most photogs set up on the press box side, I set up behind the team bench instead. I used 4 DYnalite 4080SP light heads with M2000er 2000 w/s packs. On the other side I set up two more lights. 2 Speedotron Force 10 monolights (1000 w/s) as a backlight. I was proud of the set up because I had nice even lighting throughou the entire rink. That's when things started to go wrong.
1. One of my Speedos stopped working before the start of the game. Could not figure out why. Changed synch cords and switched out PWs and still no go.
2. One of my Dynalites stopped working about midway through the first period. It turns out the power cord was missing. Must have been stolen by another photog. Lucky I had a spare.
3. After the public school game, I was all set to take a shot of the team with the trophy and the light I needed where the kids were set up failed. Lucky I also had an SB-800 in my pocket. It turns out some kid hanging on my light stand pulled out the synch cord.
4. At the start of the private school championships, the emergency lights came on at the top of the bleachers. The circuit breakers broke. My strategy for setting up opposite the press box was perfect except Rich the NJ Devils photog had the same idea and he had monster lights also. Our lights were just drawing too much power. Missed most of the first period.
5. Trophy shot time again. Just before the shot. Circuit breakers blew again. Back to SB-800.
Thanks Ray, but now you have a goalie so things for the flyers are looking up :wink:(As much as this pains me to say, seeing that you're Sabres fan and I'm a life-long Flyers fan, (Yeah, I know they're DEAD LAST in the NHL...:325 :wink
Great shots Kurt, and further proof that strobes are the ONLY way to go!
The other photog on my side had four Elinchrome lights. Between the two of us, we must have drawn more power than the other 6 guys w/lights. All the photogs on the opposite side of me had ABs and WLs. As far as the synch cord being pulled out by the kids. It was more packed on my side. STanding room only even up in the balcony walkway. The photogs on the other side even had seats. The stolen power cord was a real low blow.Holy Cow Alex, what did you do to tick off the photo gods?? Talk about Murphy's Law...that's just brutal man! I truly feel for ya...
I guess it must be all that "fancy, schmancy" gear of yours... That's never happened with my AB's! :tongue: :tongue:
There are two places you can go,Alex, is there a link to the specs on the 4 DYnalite 4080SP light heads with M2000er 2000 w/s packs? Browsing the dynalite site and several sites selling them and have not come up with one that actually gives any real numbers just "Extremely fast recycle" and "Extremely fast flash duration".
I am thinking of adding a couple lights, and it would be nice to get to fire 2 shots per second without losing much on the exposure side...found some elinchrome's with 1 second recycles that are mono-strobes, with these lights how many lights will fire off the M2000 power pack?
Sorry if you covered this topic in a thread I missed.