Save?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Kurt, Mar 25, 2007.

1. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I like this shot. It's great that you can see the goalie's eyes watching the puck. Sharp, good color and exposure, looks great to me. I'm a little distracted by the offensive player's missing/obscured head, but that's minor since my eye is drawn to the goalie anyway.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is a very nice hockey shot...as mentioned the goalie is the main subject matter of the capture and he is very visible through his mask. The action caught is real nice and I think the tightness of the shot works well. I'd be proud to have shot this.

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Sweet, nice color light and action --you did well

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super shot
    That can't be easy:>))))

5. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    very well done. Mind sharing your light set up?

6. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    No problem Robert, these were shot while working contract for a company. The company had (2) white lightning 1600's directed at each end of the ice bouncing from the ceilings that were controlled by pocket wizards.

I do not own enough lights or pocket wizards, but enjoy shooting for them and using their equipment enough to be considering getting two more lights and a set of radio controls.

The kid in white (yeah, wish more of him were in frame) actually took the puck and put it over the goalie right after I shot this. The recycle time on the lights is about a second before you get a decent exposure again so missed that one.

This one however was a save:
    HIS_3026.

7. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Very nice Kurt! Sounds like you are becoming a light convert.

btw, I shot the ice hockey state finasl this weekend. Talk about a cluster you know what. There were about 8 photographers that had set up lights. Since most photogs set up on the press box side, I set up behind the team bench instead. I used 4 DYnalite 4080SP light heads with M2000er 2000 w/s packs. On the other side I set up two more lights. 2 Speedotron Force 10 monolights (1000 w/s) as a backlight. I was proud of the set up because I had nice even lighting throughou the entire rink. That's when things started to go wrong.

1. One of my Speedos stopped working before the start of the game. Could not figure out why. Changed synch cords and switched out PWs and still no go.

2. One of my Dynalites stopped working about midway through the first period. It turns out the power cord was missing. Must have been stolen by another photog. Lucky I had a spare.

3. After the public school game, I was all set to take a shot of the team with the trophy and the light I needed where the kids were set up failed. Lucky I also had an SB-800 in my pocket. It turns out some kid hanging on my light stand pulled out the synch cord.

4. At the start of the private school championships, the emergency lights came on at the top of the bleachers. The circuit breakers broke. My strategy for setting up opposite the press box was perfect except Rich the NJ Devils photog had the same idea and he had monster lights also. Our lights were just drawing too much power. Missed most of the first period.

5. Trophy shot time again. Just before the shot. Circuit breakers blew again. Back to SB-800.

8. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Yeah Alex, I am trying to learn to love them...I hate missing shots waiting for the recycle though or saying to hell with it and having a very underexposed "great shot" like the puck going over the goalies shoulder in the shot after the original posted here...but then again its all about timing isn't it.

Sounds as though you had a tough day at the finals, hopefully it all worked out.

My day started out pretty bad as my monopod was no where to be found...so shot the entire 15 hour day with the 70-200 and D2x in HSC mode. Even the 70-200 gets to hurt your back after a while not using a mono!

9. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    (As much as this pains me to say, seeing that you're Sabres fan and I'm a life-long Flyers fan, (Yeah, I know they're DEAD LAST in the NHL...:325:) :wink:)

Great shots Kurt, and further proof that strobes are the ONLY way to go!

10. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand

Holy Cow Alex, what did you do to tick off the photo gods?? Talk about Murphy's Law...that's just brutal man! I truly feel for ya...

I guess it must be all that "fancy, schmancy" gear of yours... That's never happened with my AB's! :tongue: :tongue:

11. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Thanks Ray, but now you have a goalie so things for the flyers are looking up :wink:

12. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    The other photog on my side had four Elinchrome lights. Between the two of us, we must have drawn more power than the other 6 guys w/lights. All the photogs on the opposite side of me had ABs and WLs. As far as the synch cord being pulled out by the kids. It was more packed on my side. STanding room only even up in the balcony walkway. The photogs on the other side even had seats. The stolen power cord was a real low blow.

13. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Alex, is there a link to the specs on the 4 DYnalite 4080SP light heads with M2000er 2000 w/s packs? Browsing the dynalite site and several sites selling them and have not come up with one that actually gives any real numbers just "Extremely fast recycle" and "Extremely fast flash duration".

I am thinking of adding a couple lights, and it would be nice to get to fire 2 shots per second without losing much on the exposure side...found some elinchrome's with 1 second recycles that are mono-strobes, with these lights how many lights will fire off the M2000 power pack?

Sorry if you covered this topic in a thread I missed.

14. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    There are two places you can go,

http://www.dynalite.com/fxl_er_tech.html
    http://www.gophotography.net/tips.html

The 2nd site is to Thomas a freelance photographer who works for SI, ESPN and Getty. He's very approachable and will return your e-mails. You can also just call Dynalite. You can ask for Peter. He's the president of the company and he is extremely helpful In fact, he spent two hours with me once in his office and studio just playing with the lights.

You will need one pack per light. There are three light plugs on an M2000er. One in the A channel and two in the B channel. The 4080SP is a bi-tube head with two pig tails. One plugs into the A channel and the other into the B channel. Each channel can be set to 250, 500 or 1000 w/s. You can also use the variator to adjust the f-stop but the company suggests leaving it at full for the shortest flash duration.

In fact, some people will even use two packs per light head. I think in the pro-arenas, the photogs are using Speedo Quad heads with dual packs for 4000 w/s!!! The packs are great for absolute raw power and the fact you can make light adjustments w/o having to lower the lights. I have rarely used them above 1/4 power. The downside is they are a pain in the butt to haul around. Also, Dynalite seems to almost always be out of stock of the M2000er packs.

The other guy shooting next to me over the weekend was Rich, who is the NJ Devils official photographer. He prefers Elinchromes for high school ice hockey He had his own problems. He had a bad synch cord and could not borrow one of my spares nor buy one from Unique Photo down the street. Elinchrome's synch cords are proprietary.