Saving CWB from CNX2 to D90

I had my D90 converted to IR. Setting a CWB is very difficult and the results vary. I realize I can "fix" the white balance issue very quickly and easily in CNX2. However, it does change the exposure so I would like to set it before taking the photos. I am wondering if it is possible to correct the white balance in CNX2 and copy it to the D90. When I edit a photo, copy it my SD card, and try to use the copy from image in the PRE settings, it is grayed out. The D90 can't play back the images either. I am also wondering if it is possible to move a preset white balance from d1-d4 to d0. I always have the option to copy d0 to d1-d4 but can't find the opposite.

Is the final product Colour IR or B+W IR?

If it is B+W IR then why not shoot in B+W PC? Then WB is not an issue.

If it is Colour IR then I would ask - "Is the WB within the K Range of the Camera"? This is normally 2500 - 10000K in 1/3 stop increments.

Why not save a settings file and Batch to a folder in CNX2.

All the above from someone who has never shot in IR.

Please educate me (us)?

DG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reply DaveG. The final output can be either color or black and white. The temperature is much lower than the camera will set. The D90 goes to 2500 and that gives a light purple tint. Better than red, but not right. I can save the settings in CNX2 and apply them in post. That will fix the white balance issue but change the exposure. If I can do it in camera, the exposure is correct and I don't need to worry about adding noise, as most often when correcting the WB in post for this camera it reduces the exposure. If I could take an image that I corrected in CNX2 and copy it to one of the presets in the D90, that would be ideal.

And setting 2500K with adjustments to A-B and G-M will not do it either?

If it is only a light purple tint it suggests that there is sufficient adjustment below 2500K built into the camera??

Just trying to understand.

P.S. Is it possible to do a Gray Point WB in CNX2 and if it is what are the red and blue components of the resulting adjustment?

DG

I checked the 2500K setting and it is not possible to take the hue settings any lower.

However, (thinking out loud), if the tint is Purple do you not want some like amber to correct??

If that is the case you need a higher (than 2500K) WB to correct it???

DG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, it needs to go lower than 2500K. I can correct the WB in CNX2. Depending how close things are, the red and blue adjustments vary. For my zoo shots, the ones I did at 2500K give me a red of .54 and a blue of .53. The ones I tried to set it off the grass (which looks more like an AWB) gave a red of .32 and a blue of 1.01. Kolarivision did a preset for me when they converted it. When I correct it I get 1.03 red and .95 blue. Even though their preset is close, the white balance will vary just as it does in visible light. I would at least like to put a few different presets in there say for flash, indoors, sunny, and cloudy. That would at least get the exposure closer than what I have.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom