1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Saving to SRGB in photoshop...EXIF problem

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by isayx3, Oct 4, 2008.

1. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    For web images I have been doing "Save for Web" and selecting SRGB...Image looks good...except whenever I do this I loose the EXIF data.

When I do a "Save As" and select JPG..the Exif data stays but it does not save in SRGB and the colors look off.

What is the proper way to save a JPG in SRGB and retain the Exif data

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Edit > Convert to profile > choose sRGB and then save as.

3. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Thank you!

4. Wileec

Wileec Guest

When you use Save for web, it intends for the image to be as small as possible, which means by default it doesn't include any info not required, which includes EXIF and the profile (although this is up to the user). It also allows one to visually see the impact of the compression options chosen for the file, while Save As does not.

5. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Save As allows you to seethe effects of compression as well. That's what the "Preview" checkbox does.

6. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Sure enough! I'm not used to using Save As for JPEGs, so I had forgotten about that option. I've always used Save for Web, or used Save As at 12, but prefer to save LZW TIF - so even though my Preview box is checked - I don't even look to see what the result is.

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow! I actually helped someone! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.