Saw my old GBH friend today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I stopped by the pond today, after an absence of exactly a month, and the resident GBH was back. I saw him from about 300 yards, and immediately picked up the gear and headed his way. Just as I was about to get within shooting range, he took off. I had to set the tripod down, unlock the big Wimberley, and fire off my shots. They were pretty badly underexposed, and honestly, not all that steady. They are however, the first birdie flight shots I gotten in a while, so I'm posting them anyway. 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to practice. :roll:

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

I wish my bad ones were that good!!!!!!!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Frank

Jim,

It's amazing what you can cover up in post-processing. :lol:

Thanks,

4. Frank, they look very good to me!

Thanks for sharing. :)

5. Frank I agree with the others. I would take this any day. Nice job.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Ok what am I missing ???
    Did you forget to post the bad ones :)

7. They are all differents but very good.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Flight shots are like a great golf shot,

rare & so hard to do, but oh, so satisfying. Whatever you did, they turned out very good. So, fess up about the post work, Frank. Positive EV Comp? DEE? N.I.? :wink:

9. And the funny part is you could have left your pod behind if I read your exif correctly. That'll teach you to leave your EV at -1.3!

10. I echo Jims sentiments exactly would take these as my good shots any day of the week

11. Frank, Great shots...love the second one!

Anthony

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I had been shooting some white ducks in direct afternoon sunlight when I spotted this guy. That's the reason the EV was at -1.3. I expected to adjust that when I got down to the GBH, but never got the chance. By the time I got to the end of the pond where he was, it was cloudy, so the shots were under-exposed by about 3/4 of a stop.

Steve, all I did in PP was add back the 3/4 stop, give it mild gamma boost (1.08 I believe), and set the black point in NC. I then cropped and resized it in PS CS, added USM using the FM Intellisharpen II plug-in, and did one last curves tweak. Nothing really that severe except for the 3/4 stop EV boost.

Regards,

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    wow--very nice.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

I was going to say "I wish my bad ones were this good" but everyone else stole my line. Were you using the 300/2.8? I assume so because you were using the Wimberley.

The number of replies shows that you've got a great reputation here - well deserved. I posted a GBH shot and only one response. :cry: Oh, well, maybe when I start taking and posting better images. I thought it was a conspiracy against GBHs, but you've disproved that!

Gordon

15. I want you to teach me how to shoot such underexposed out of focus shots. Really, I must need new glasses or something because those shots look pretty darn good to me. Great work!

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I'm so sorry!! :? I looked at your post, and thought I responded. I thought that it was a pretty decent shot. I'll do better next time. :oops:

I was using the 300 2.8 with the 1.4 TC for these shots. That's about my favorite combo for flying birdies. Thanks for the kind words. ;-)

17. Frank, your bad shots are even good! :x Maybe you should lay off the birdies and keep practising your macros so we other birders can catch up to you some (or at least try to close the gap some). :twisted:

j/k -- your flight shots are what I strive to achieve! :D

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Frank -

No need to be sorry! I was joking around with my comments. Except for the one about your well-deserved reputation. If you haven't, done this already, go back to my GBH and critique it. Only one way to learn! :idea:

Gordon

19. I would love to get any picture of a GBH in flight let alone one like yours and to think you are just out there practicing makes me a little ill. I can't even find a GBH and the one time I did he flew off before I even got into range with my 300mm.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I keep asking you to come visit us. The last time I was over at the Guntersville dam with Greg, we saw at least 25 GBHs, and they were cruising up and down the Tennessee river any where from several hundred to several feet from us. Greg has since found an island where the Cormorants nest, and we also have Eagles and Osprey. 8)

Come on down any time. We'd absolutely love to have you. :wink: