SawFly larva on my Loosestrife

Man these tiny guys (.5 inch) were all over my Yellow Loosestrife. Easy to pick but hard to identify. I always worry I am wiping out some exotic moth or butterfly. Finally I googled "caterpillars on yellow loosestrife" (www.robsplants.com/critters/crawlers.php) How great is the Internet!

Shot with my Sigma 105 and Kenko 35mm tube.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Easy to pick but hard to identify. I always worry I am wiping out some exotic moth or butterfly.
Try this method. The first set of legs are the Thoractic Legs and they are in 3 pairs and total 6 then this shows it is an insect.

Now count the next set of legs. These are called the Locomotive/Locomotion Legs. If there are only 3 pairs then it is a butterfly or moth. As bl**dy usual there is are exceptions but they are the 'Loopy Caterpillars.' :confused:

HOWEVER. If there are more than 3 pairs of locomotion legs then it is not a butterfly or moth. Your image shows that this larvae has at least 7 pairs of L. Legs.

I hope this helps.

Bob F.

Try this method. The first set of legs are the Thoractic Legs and they are in 3 pairs and total 6 then this shows it is an insect.

Now count the next set of legs. These are called the Locomotive/Locomotion Legs. If there are only 3 pairs then it is a butterfly or moth. As bl**dy usual there is are exceptions but they are the 'Loopy Caterpillars.' :confused:

HOWEVER. If there are more than 3 pairs of locomotion legs then it is not a butterfly or moth. Your image shows that this larvae has at least 7 pairs of L. Legs.

I hope this helps.

Bob F.
Perfect, your posts are great!

Looks so cute, especially in the first photo.
Are you old enough to have watched the "Addams Family". This fellow reminds me of Uncle Fester. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom