Sawtell Peak

We have a local recreation area that is very popular. It is called Island Park, Idaho. Coming from southeast Idaho you drive through it to get to West Yellowstone. The most prominent landmark is Sawtell Peak. There is a radar station on the top so the dirt road to the top is well maintained. We decided to drive there a few evenings ago when we were camping in the area. There was a lot of smoke from the California fires in the area that evening, but I tried to get some photos anyway. Hopefully we can go back soon when the air is clearer as the view is quite spectacular.

This is a reference image. This was taken on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River near where we were camping. You can see the mountain with the radar tower in the upper right background of the photo. The peak of the mountain is about 10,000 feet.
_DSC4503.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The radar tower
_DSC4677.jpg
_DSC4678.jpg

View looking west into Montana. We had ridden our RZR down through the botton of the distant valley the day before so it was fun to see the road we had been on.

_DSC4679.jpg

Looking north east towards Henry's Lake and Yellowstone Park.
_DSC4697.jpg

You can see the mountain with the radar tower in the upper left background of the photo
. . upper Right . ..
Gorgeous country.

Fun fact, or perhaps oddity is a better word, about the town of Island Park, is while it has a population of only 280 folks it is 33 miles from north to south. in 1947, primarily to circumvent Idaho's liquor laws that prohibited the sale of liquor outside of city limits the city annexed the land along Hiway 20. It is only 500 feet (150 m) wide in most locations yet, at 33 miles has the longest "Main Street" in the world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
. . upper Right . ..
Gorgeous country.

Fun fact, or perhaps oddity is a better word, about the town of Island Park, is while it has a population of only 280 folks it is 33 miles from north to south. in 1947, primarily to circumvent Idaho's liquor laws that prohibited the sale of liquor outside of city limits the city annexed the land along Hiway 20. It is only 500 feet (150 m) wide in most locations yet, at 33 miles has the longest "Main Street" in the world.
Oh, I thought I had changed it to upper right. That's an interesting fact!

Great images showing a beautifully wide landscape, with so many details to discover. I like how everything dissapears in the distant (knowing the source of the hazy air... :( ), and to spot portraited people in some.
Thank you, Roland. We love finding new places to enjoy near home!

Beautiful country which you are showing from a different perspective. I've fished Henry's Fork though not at that particular spot.
Thanks, Jim. Fishing is very popular here. My dad fished every day that he could his entire life. I miss the delicious trout he always gave to me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom