1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB-28 or SB-80 for strobist kit ?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by fireman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Last weekend, I was at my sister's to photograph her cats and kittens. A friend of mine lent me his portable kit consisting of 2 of each SB-28, lightstands, cactus triggers and umbrellas. I'm thinking about seting my own kit myself and I'm wondering which of the SB-28 or the SB-80 I should go after for this kit ?

I know the basic features of both but I am wondering if some features from one model are more desirable than others. My budget is limited so that's why I'm not looking to go with CLS and SB-800's and SB-600's though I currently own an SB-600 and intend to keep it.

I've thought about the Vivitar 285 HV too. It is really a workhorse but I find them less flexible than the more modern Speedlights.

So what do you guys think. SB-28 or SB-80 ?

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    sb-80dx for the optical slave, backup if the RF transmitters dont work. i hate the vivitars, so slow to recycle.

3. I am by no means a flash expert, more a dabbler. I've successfully used my sb-80dx off-camera in slave mode, with my sb-400 mounted on a D50. I didn't get an sb-600 since I don't even have a flash commander, and the sb-800 was out of my price range. The sb-80dx is quite powerful, more so than the sb-600 and nearly equalling the sb-800. The aperture metering when using it in the hot shoe isn't bad either, and when doing that I use a Better Bounce Card, which works great after a bit of tweaking.

Note that if you use it as a slave, the on-camera flash has to be set to manual as well so that the iTTL preflash doesn't prematurely fire the slave.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.