SB 400 and CLS

I am sure the answer is obvious, but I can't find it, so I need some help.

Is the SB 400 one of the flashes that will work with the CLS? I seem to recall that it is, but I can only find info on the 900, 800, 600 and 200 speedlights. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a quick answer.

Thanks much
Ron

If by "CLS", you mean does it work with the current Nikon digital cameras, yes, it will work on the hot shoe of the current digital cameras. The name CLS means anything remotely related to flash operation on the new Nikon digital cameras.

If you mean wireless remote (which is the Advanced Wireless Lighting - AWL feature of CLS), then no, the SB-400 has no wireless remote capability. It must be on the hot shoe, or on the short SC-28 type hot shoe extension cords - one sole flash by itself.

The SB-400 does only iTTL mode. However, the cameras newer than it (D40, D90, D300, D700) can use the camera menu to set the SB-400 to Manual flash mode. Other older cameras (like D80) cannot, it will be iTTL only. Therefore the meaning is that it can never be used in any standalone manual way, it is useless unless on the hot shoe of a CLS camera.

SB-400 capability chart is on page 380 of your D700 manual.

Wayne-

Thank you very much for the detailed and concise answer. I really do appreciate the information.

Latest threads

Top Bottom