1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sb-400 + Sto-Fen

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by kaspar, Sep 2, 2008.

1. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Can I get some samples, please.

Thanks,
    Kaspar

2. The stofen makes you use the flash more often for sure

I really like it

DSC_3891-Copycopy.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Here are 2.

2489240953_29c5c6e52a.jpg

2490161140_9e28d67294.jpg

4. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Thanks guys!
    Some more maybe, anybody?
    I really want to make sure that I need a sb-400 and a diffuser.
    Btw, how good is this set for vertical shots?

5. Compared to the on board flash, the SB-400 is great - it's tilting head allows you to lose red eye altogether

It does NOT work as well for verticals, because it doesn't have a rotating head - you need the 600,800 or 900 for that

With the diffuser, it works better for verticals, since it isn't throwing harsh light to one side - but it is still only lighting one side

My intent was/is to buy the SB-400 to get working with flash - and have a small flash that I will always carry with me - and I do always carry it

My next goal is to pick up the 600 or 800, for FULL flash functionality (off camera wireless and rotating head)

I think people should have both to allow for full functionality

6. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    I want a cheap flash that I can use for portraits (mostly vertical) for fill light only. I really like the size of the sb-400 . If the sto-fen isn't so good, will the Demb Flip-it be better, or will the light still be uneven?

7. It's NOT the stofen that is the problem
    It is the NON rotating head of the SB400

With vertical orientation - the flash will ALWAYS be on one side of the other - no matter what diffuser you buy

For portraits - with vertical orientation - you will need to move up to the SB-600..and still get a diffuser

8. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I think I'll put that money away for a faster lens instead.

9. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Here is an image where I used a sb400 vertically....i bounced it into the stofen attached. I actually like the flash when they are to the right or left apposed to in the center.

2830987748_66684ebc9f_o.png

10. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    there's always the sc-28 (or sc-29) cord and you can bounce anywhere you want :) 

11. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Yes I know, but it would cost me about as much as a sb-600. :) 

12. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    i put a WTB post a couple months ago for an sc-28 or 29, got a few responses for less than $50. although the cable plus sb400 would probably be more than an sb600. either way, the cable is a nifty accessory :) 

13. SB-400 + Sto-Fen + Active D-Lighting

_DSC0030-1.jpg

_DSC0042.jpg

14. Great thread, I just purchased a sb-400 with the sto-fen diffuser and I am waiting for it in the mail. Can anybody else post more pictures. Thank you.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.