1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB-400 v/s D80 build in flash

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by stamp22, Jul 27, 2008.

1. stamp22

stamp22

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I am OK with D80 build in flash , but I get some shade at the bottom when I used a wide angle or 2.8 lens.
    - SB-600, too big
    - SB-800, SB-900, too big and too much money ( I rather save to glass)

What is the SB-400 have more than D80 build in flash ?????
    Is it worth buy a SB-400 while I had and build-in flash already ????

Thanks for all of your comments.

2. The SB400 can do bounce flash as well and you can have it on a SC28 cord if you want .

3. gladjo

gladjo Guest

The SB400 is several times more powerful than the on-board flash but you can't use the SB400 as a commander.

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The SB-400 is high enough above the body so as not to create a shadow with some lenses. Note: With 17-55 /2.8, remove the lens hood and the SB-400 creates no shadow at 17mm, where the built-in flash creates a major shadow.

Once you see the extra flash distance compared with the built-in flash, the bounce capability, and greater freedom from shadows cast, I believe you will take the SB-400 with you everywhere.

In addition, the D80 battery will shoot more images by not using the built-in flash. And the SB-400 lasts a long time on 2) NiMh rechargeable batteries.

5. You can also put the Sb400 on a horrendous looking bracket like this without worrying about it toppling over ...

abbc001.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6. You don't know what you're missing. An external flash will open up new worlds for you... particularly if you use if off-camera. The best use of the popup flash on your d80 is to command a remote flash. And the least expensive flash that can be used in ittl remote mode is the sb600. You can usually find them used for under $150.

7. First, I agree completely with UF. You don't know what you'll be missing.

But to answer your question, yes the SB-400 is a big step up from the on board flash. Especially if you add something like the Flip-it to it, I'd probably make one myself though.

I've actually been thinking of adding one of these flashes for during receptions when things are really crowded on the dance floor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.