1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB-600 vs SB-800 noob

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by shipsaeki, Jul 21, 2008.

1. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    I came across a good deal on a used SB-800. $190 bucks on craigslist. However, the item is used and out of warranty. My question is, should I buy the used 800 or a new 600?

I'm pretty much an amateur with photography and just started about 3 months ago. I mostly take pictures outdoors, but would like to start taking indoor photography.

I shoot with a Nikon D40... noob camera I guess? :325:

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Get the SB800. They are pretty reliable.

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with John, get the SB-800.

I would consider an SB-600 from some one I could trust around $150 tops, but $190, especially from a stranger, is too close to mail order pricing to suit me.

BTW, whether in or out of warranty to the original owner, all Nikon gear is out of warranty for subsequent purchasers unless the owner handles warranty for you, or the item wasn't registered, and you get away with claiming to be the original purchaser.

4. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Nothing wrong with the 600. It'll do most anything the 800 will for less. :biggrin:

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Except a couple of things that may or may not be really important . . .

6. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    the 800 for sure at that price, unless you used market is much different then it is here in Canada.
    Plus you have the option of using the 800 to as a commander in the future if you decide to check out the CLS options.

7. That's what I am doing, using two SB600's as strobes and a camera mounted SB800 as a commander.

8. A great deal depends on how you feel about those thing which the SB-600 won't do. Even though the list may be short, it includes things like:

Inability to act as a commander.
    No PC port.
    No SU-4 optical slave.
    Less Power than the SB-800.

Any one of these is a deal killer for ME. It might not be for you though.

9. timzilla

timzilla Guest

I'd try to find out if the SB800 was in good working order, and if it was I'd go ahead and get it...

Even though it might have a bunch of extra features that you might not be using RIGHT now, maybe down the line your skills will evolve and you may need the extra features.

Hope that helps!

10. the PC port and opto-slave can be retrofitted with common accessories but most of these extra parts are not as reliable or high quality as what nikon builds into the SB-800.

commander mode and lower power of course can not be made up. there is also a strobe mode which can be fun on the SB-800.

11. If you have the D40, you want to get the SB800- 'cause the 600 won't work as an AWS commander- later you can add SB600s and control them with the the 800.

Usually, proided one has a body with an AWS commander onboard flash, I make exactly the opposite recommendation...

Lawrence

12. or you can get the SB-600 now and get the SB-800 later to command it. no specific advantage right? you could also get the SU-800 later to remote it. the way i see it, if there is not built in commander, there won't be any CLS action untill you got a minimum of 2 CLS parts.

13. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    ughhh.. I'm confused. Anyway, the lady sold the flash already. She promised me that she would sell it to me, but then later called and said she had sold it. Damn. I guess I'll just goto B&H and buy the 600

14. Bah. That stinks.

I'll bet you'll be prefectly happy with the SB600, though...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.