SB-700 flash question

Hey All,

I was wondering if there was a way to use the gel that comes with my SB-700 to get a yellowish flash light.
I know that the flash senses when the gel is mounted and it is used to compensate for incadescant light. But what I want is to do the opposite, I want to use the yellow gel to get a yellow light in my photos.
What settings should I use on the camera to get this?

Thank You :smile:

Thanks for your reply, how do I go about doing that as I usually leave my WB on auto and get satisfactory results except in specific circumstances.

Your speedlight may sense the presence of a gel, but as far as I know only the full-frame bodies will know which gel it is...

So stick it on, set the WB to something a little warmer than daylight and fire away.

Thanks for your reply, how do I go about doing that as I usually leave my WB on auto and get satisfactory results except in specific circumstances.

So don't leave the WB on Auto is the suggestion: press the WB button, then use the command dial (rear on in my D300/D700) to spin to the desired pre-set WB (the little sun for daylight). You can also go to the K setting, and while still holding the WB button down, spin the front command dial to set the desired temperature in Kelvin. 5200K is daylight, 5400K is flash, etc.

Real Name
Mike
Your speedlight may sense the presence of a gel, but as far as I know only the full-frame bodies will know which gel it is...

So stick it on, set the WB to something a little warmer than daylight and fire away.
From page 234 of the D90 manual:

If a color filter is attached to the SB-900 when AUTO or N (flash) is selected for white balance, the camera will automatically detect the filter and adjust white balance appropriately.

I know this worked with my SB-900 and D90, and suspect the same is true for the D300s.

Real Name
Mike
Try putting the gel on the SB-700 and set the camera's WB to daylight (the sun symbol). As long as the camera WB is not set to Auto or Flash (the lightning bolt), you will be able to override the speedlight communication.

It worked :smile: Thanks a lot Mike!!!
I'm planning to use this when I shoot people at clubs, this will give better results than the white flash!!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom