SB-800 and D2X

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dburanich, Jun 16, 2005.

1. I have been giving some serious thought to replacing my SB-80 with the SB-800 for use on my D2X. It looks like the major difference is the I-TTL . The Nikon site says the SB-800 provides I-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash control on the D2H. Does this also apply to the the D2X since they are both 'D2" series or only the D2H?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Paul,
    Thanks for such a quick reply. You just helped me make up my mind.

I'm off to the camera store.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Buy one and prepared to be amazed. Actually, buy two. The D2X and SB800 is an awesome combo.

5. The D2X and SB-800 are fantastic together. Best flash / camera combo I have ever used.

Do it !

6. I second all the above. This technology continues to amaze me. I can still remember learning how to calculate the circle of confusion and working in the darkroom where we had to wait about 20 minutes to view a color test print from the P-122 process. Nitrogen burst, etc. Using painted light to photograph damaged or defective aircraft engine parts. Carrying around a 4 X 5 Super Speed Graphic and a wet cell strobe that weight about 20 pounds.........

Those were the good old days..............NOT. Don't want to hear anybody complaining about how long it takes to 'process' digital images. These SB600/800 strobes are wonderful. Even have modeling light built in

7. This is truly an amazing flash unit when used with the D2X. In the past I have always tried to use natural light settings on my critical shots that were going to be published in some way. I have tried everything I could think of and nothing would give me that perfect natural looking shot with a flash unit. The closest I have been able to get was using a soft box setup and a pre set white balance. The SB-800 definitely has this beat. I cannot believe how my test shots so far are coming out. Skin tones are absolutely fabulous. I wish I would have bought this a long time ago but I was having a hard time justifying it to myself since I purchased an SB-80 just before the SB-800 came out. Those of you who have a D2 series Nikon, I would definitely put the SB-800 as a priority to purchase sometime in the near future. It is definitely well worth the investment.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    After reading Dave Black's page, I picked up 2 SB-600. I can't wait to start playing with them. Now, I'm just looking for some Justin Clamps (Bogen 175f).