SB-800 misfires and/or underexposes -3EV !!!

I've searched all the forums on the web and have not found any solution about this although it's a pretty usual situation/problem, so it would be very helpful to me if anyone has had a similar problem, and better yet if anyone has come out with a solution.

My SB-800 doesn't work properly on the hotshoe (misfires, fires metering flash but not the exposure flash itself and when it does so it's about -3EV underexposed, and such), but works ok when on remote on all modes.
I'm almost sure it's an SB-800 shoe failure cause my SB-24 works great as always on the very same D300, and the SB-800 acts weird in whichever camera.

It's not a settings thing, neither on the SB-800 nor on any of the cameras, nor a battery or contacts problem: done all that and the problem still persists. I'm at a point where sending it in for repair is inevitable, but as I'm not expecting a cheap fix I thought any of you might have had the same problem, and might have something to share about it.

So, thanks in advance if you care to share...

It's not a settings thing, neither on the SB-800 nor on any of the cameras, nor a battery or contacts problem: done all that and the problem still persists.

No doubt true, but still, also true, when on the hot shoe, the SB-800 can be set to -3EV compensation in the flash body... which adds to any FC set in the camera. This is ignored when off camera. This can be seen (when on the hot shoe) by just tapping the center round button, and can be reset then. Or the two button reset (power and mode) will reset it.

Top Bottom