SB 800 No Longer Supported

Had an accident yesterday and one of the SB 800's hit the ground. Only thing wrong appears to be the thick metal plate on the bottom with a bend in it to the point it won't mount on the camera. Nikon has dropped support, won't repair it. I called APS and they said more or less the same thing, send it in, if they have the required parts they will fix it, otherwise it's scrap.
I know it's been 14 years since it was introduced, but there still have to be many of these out there. They seem to be in greater than the SB 900 or 910 as it's hard to find SB800's for sale. They also have a bit more power. With SB 5000's going for $600, I can't justify the cost.
I did find some used ones at KEH, prices seem inflated but still less than a SB5000!

I have several Nikon flashes, and with my last purchase, I simply had to call it quits. I just feel that Nikon is gouging us on the cost of these units. I cannot really tell that most of the newer flashes are "better" than my old SB800, and yet Nikon feels it can charge over $600 for what is a pretty simple device. I've given up and now recommend yongnuo flashes. They are iTTL compatible and you don't feel too bad if a $90 flash falls to the ground.

http://yongnuousa.net/products/yn685-nikon

I have several Nikon flashes, and with my last purchase, I simply had to call it quits. I just feel that Nikon is gouging us on the cost of these units. I cannot really tell that most of the newer flashes are "better" than my old SB800, and yet Nikon feels it can charge over $600 for what is a pretty simple device. I've given up and now recommend yongnuo flashes. They are iTTL compatible and you don't feel too bad if a $90 flash falls to the ground.

http://yongnuousa.net/products/yn685-nikon

Same here. I have two SB-800s and one SB-600. I hate to say it, but if they fail, I'll be going the Yongnu route too. They seem to work well enough, and I just can't justify the expense of the Nikon flashes anymore.

I agree that the latest offerings from Nikon (900, 910, 5000) leave a lot to be desired. They have less power than the old 800 and the 900/910 seemed overly prone to shutting down. The price of a 5000 is too far out there. I have 4 of the SB800's so I'll be using them until they die. Good to know that alternatives exist, I'm always a little reluctant with the cheap electronics.

I recently purchased a Yongnuo 568EX direct from an Ebay seller in China. It's about as powerful as an SB800 and works wirelessly with flash-equipped Nikon DSLRs. It seems to have most if not all of the features of the SB800. For the low price, I figured it was worth the risk and it worked fine on the one project I've used it for so far.

Larry

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Indeed, I feel that Nikon is pricing themselves totally out of the one segment of the market that they can compete in....semi to pro level camera, lenses and accessories!

I can't imagine a scenario where I will be tempted to buy another body. Lens....maybe. But at my age and ability....I'm already "all in"!

I can't imagine a scenario where I will be tempted to buy another body. Lens....maybe. But at my age and ability....I'm already "all in"!

Karen, you crack me up. After I read this statement and looked down at your signature, I couldn't help but notice that you currently own the three best Nikon bodies available in the D5, d810 and D500. You're already doing your fair share in supporting the Nikon camera body business!

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
For what it's worth, I have used the Nissin flash for Nikon (borrowed one day in a pinch) and it is a very good unit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127483-REG/nissin_nd700a_n_di700a_flash_for_nikon.html

I own 3 SB 800's and an SB900. Only thing that I do not like about the 800 is that the menu for changing settings sucks compared to the
900 - especially if you are wearing gloves.

Just checked KEH which has a "bargain" condition 800 for $192. Expensive price to pay for a foot, but if you love your 800 and it doesn't have too many flashes on it, it might make more sense to buy the $192 foot than to buy one of the Chinese units. I recall that I read where someone opened up the Y and the N knockoffs and discovered while they worked quite well, the guts were very inexpensively constructed (duh!) and not nearly as robust as the OEM. Of course you can buy an awful lot of Yonguno's if one should happen to fail before you begin to lose money. For me it is not the fact that a knockoff may fail that is the problem; for me, I worry that the knockoff may fail at an inopportune time - like in the middle of a gig.

Only you can determine your tolerance for equipment failure (and of course as you found out, if you drop a flash (Nikon or otherwise), it will not bounce.

Would love to hear what you end up doing. Nikon OEM flashes do seem to be very much overpriced for what is, as you say, a not particularly complicated piece of kit.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Karen, you crack me up. After I read this statement and looked down at your signature, I couldn't help but notice that you currently own the three best Nikon bodies available in the D5, d810 and D500. You're already doing your fair share in supporting the Nikon camera body business!
LOL! Hi, Mitchell!

That's the reason I say I can't imagine much in my future!!!!! I decide to get what I wanted....and then travel and USE it! Lens wise, I just sold my 300/2.8 VRI and bought the 300 f4 PF. My other lenses 14-24, 24-70, 24-120, 80-400 AF-S and 500 /f4 complete the package.

It's all your fault....I'm lusting after Iceland in the winter....and several other trips!

Only you can determine your tolerance for equipment failure (and of course as you found out, if you drop a flash (Nikon or otherwise), it will not bounce.

Would love to hear what you end up doing. Nikon OEM flashes do seem to be very much overpriced for what is, as you say, a not particularly complicated piece of kit.

But the manual says my SB 800 is capable of bounce flash, so I don't know why it didn't? ;^) I purchased a used unit from KEH. I spent some time trying to take the damaged one apart but couldn't get deep enough into it to see how to change the foot. APS wants $250 to repair, add another $50 for shipping both ways and it seems better to get a $300 replacement. I was able to get the plate on the damaged unit open enough to allow it to mount to a Phottix receiver and some tests show it seems to perform well. I'll use it for a remote and use one of the others for the master. (I have 4 of them and often use a 4 flash set up.)

I also own two SB800 and one SB600. Interesting to see how the SB800 has retained it's value over the years. I can't say the same for my Nikon bodies.
I bought a few of mine years back used for $250-275 and that seems to be the norm these days on the rare event you can find one. Lots of people, including myself, seem to prefer them to the newer versions. I know a pro videographer that has at least 8 SB800's. He could have newer ones if he needed/wanted but likes the 800's.

My SB800s have never overheated or missed firing. My one gripe is the horrific menu system. Even after all these years, I still wonder if I'm going to be able to get them into remote mode. I'm not sure how I do it! Absolute worst owner's manual ever created.

That's terrible, I have four SB800s and one SB910. No way am I parting with the 800s, they see more action than the 910.

The SB-80 DX is the predecessor to the SB-800 and is about 90% the same parts. The basic parts and power specs are the same. I picked up one a long time ago for use with my D2H. After buying 4 SB-800 units over time, I considered selling the SB-80DX, but haven't, as it recently agreed to sign an SB-800 'donor card'. They can be found pretty cheap these days. Amazon currently has a working used unit available for $90.

We are lucky over here in the Motherland, Fixation still have a stock of parts and I got a new tube and full refurb of my 800 just after Christmas for the princely sum of £140 including signed for delivery. I have 3x SB900s too - but I have always thought of the 900s as higher power to the 800. Interesting that, thanks. I shall keep mine going for a bit - the SU800 is my firing mechanism, or radio trigger. So I place all three out and about and use the 800 on camera. If I am just doing a grab and go typ shot it is one of the 900s that goes on the shoe or cable because it is so simple to set them for remote, rather than the 2 second press and hunt about on the 800 to take it out of remote mode, so my 800 is left in remote forever!

Real Name
David
Another option for you is the SB-700, they can be found used for $200. Yes they are a little lower power, but they have a faster recharge with more pops per battery set. And if you're like me and more often than not are at -1/3 or -2/3 with your current flash you might find the SB-700 more than enough.

Alternatives? Yongnuo, Metz, Nissin, etc are the standard ones. One that interests me lately is Godox, they look very interesting.

But the manual says my SB 800 is capable of bounce flash, so I don't know why it didn't?
Woo-Hoo, you crack me up;)
My SB800s have never overheated or missed firing. My one gripe is the horrific menu system. Even after all these years, I still wonder if I'm going to be able to get them into remote mode. I'm not sure how I do it! Absolute worst owner's manual ever created.
AGREE! AGREE!! AGREE!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom