1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB-800 Not firing

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by eoghan, Sep 18, 2008.

1. eoghan

eoghan Guest

Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place, but it's worth a shot... I've an SB-800 that won't fire. All that happens is the ready light blinks after it should have fired, but no strobe.

I can hear what I think is the capacitor discharging when I try to trigger it manually using the red button, but that doesn't produce any light. Neither does holding the modelling light button.

There's no discolouration on the front to suggest the bulb blowing, and I've tried sticking in a fresh set of batteries, all to no avail.

Anyone got any suggestions before I try and get it repaired/replaced?

(It's well out of warranty at this stage, so I'd have to pay to have it done)

Thanks!

--Eoghan

2. Is it not flashing off-camera and/or TTL?

3. eoghan

eoghan Guest

Not flashing at all, either on camera or off, no matter which mode it's put in.

4. Since you've tried removing the batteries and replacing them, the last possibility is a total reset, just in case you accidentally put the sb800 into some funky mode. You accomplish this by holding the [mode] and [on/off] buttons down simultaneously for approximately 2 seconds.

Good luck.

5. eoghan

eoghan Guest

Tried that too :frown: Looks like it's off to the repair shop. *sigh*

Thanks for the help, though, to both of you.

6. No problem. Please report back on the outcome.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Had a similar problem. Cost $170 to fix . . . :( 

8. eoghan

eoghan Guest

Did they tell you what was wrong with it?

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    On the invoice repair they stated:

Replace Power PCB
    Clean battery contact
    Checked TTL flash
    General check and clean

Repair charges - $149.00
    Shipping - $12.50
    Sales tax - $10.43
    Total - $171.93

10. Does it fire if you manually tell it to flash by pushing the button?

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    i have exactly the same issue with my sb-600 after I dropped it, currently being repaired to "replace the tube" and will cost me $100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.