1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB 800 or free?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by williadw, Jul 30, 2008.

1. I have a friend with a Promaster FTD-5500, with the Nikon mount. He says I can have it for free as it is just collecting dust.

My question...

In all of your humble opinions.. Would this FREE unit be good enough to be worth not getting an SB800?

I really don't see me using the flash all that much.

Don

2. If it's free, why not try it out?

And if you don't use flash, it will certainly be good enough ;-).

But, in harmony with your d300, the sb600/800/900 can do impressive things. It's a shame to spend that much money on a state of the art camera, and then not use cls, which is one of its most impressive features. Jmho.

3. I think Frank nailed it. I've used oddball flashes and other off-brand goodies - with some success. But when it comes down to it, there aren't too many options out there that will give you the flexibility and creativity of Nikon speedlights.

4. I tried the free 1st....

For some reason.. it charged up and the ready light worked.. once.. then the
    green ready light would never come on. I weighed my options and just got an SB-600. I figured for as much as I plan on using a flash ( maybe some macro and fill-in work only) it would be just fine.

Don

5. Marina

Marina Guest

Heck yeah, if you don't want it, i'll take it!! :biggrin:

6. might not TTL at all on your camera, it would be nice to have in addition to a SB-x00 for sure. they are lights, the more, the merrier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.