SB-800 & Pocket Wizards?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ShadowForce, Jul 6, 2007.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Does anyone know if you can use Pocket Wizards with the SB-800?

If not, any way to control the 800's with my D200 other than Commander mode with the pop-up flash? I thought the pop-up flash was supposed to put out just a *brief* flash but in commander mode its going full power and I don't want any flash from the camera.

Thanks for your help!

2. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Yes you can use PWs with the SB-800. It comes with a PC sync cord that works fine.

Re: D200, go into your menus and turn off the main flash: Built-in > Mode change it to "--" and the Comp should be grayed out. It will still fire some flashes for TTL purposes, though.

3. Firstly you can squash the output from the built in flash in commander mode by putting "--" in the "Built-in" part of the commander set up display. Have you tried that ?

Otherwise you can set the SB800 to SU-4 mode and use the internal flash on minimum manual power to trigger it. It's all manual flash though.

Oh, and PWs will work with an SB800. All manual again.

Ronnie

4. Pocket Wizards work fine with the SB-800, and I use them all the time. One other option is to get the SU-800 which would be a lot less money invested. Many people think it is just the guts of the SB-800, but it is more powerful and you can use the SB-800s at a longer distance. Also I often use the SU-800 to control the flashes in manual mode.

GenoP

5. You just connect the pw to the side of the Sb-800 (pc-sync port) the cable that comes with the pw unit is a 3,5 to a pc so it will work right out of the box.

As for the d200 in commander mode, well you can set the d200 on-flash to -- so it wont contribute anything to the exposure. However its quite annyoing cause it will still flash and the reflectioncan still bee seen in the catchlights.

BUT if you want ttl you shouldnt really bother with pw's cause they will only trigger your sb-800. So if you want to keep ttl the only route is the su-800 not a bad route at all for that matter.

If go for pw's be prepared to either chimp alot and go by trial and error, or get a lightmeter with a radio trigger or a sync cable.

6. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks everyone for such quick responses! I'm off to a photo shoot so I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Regarding the annoying pre-flash commands from the internal flash in Commander mode...

Rather than put your sb800 into su4 (dumb flash mode), as has been suggested, put it in remote mode, and then have the Commander direct it in manual mode. That will reduce the pre-flash commands to a minimum, but still allow you to control the sb800's power settings from your camera, rather than having to walk over to the light stand, lower it, and set the power on the back of the flash unit.

8. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

Hi Bob

Pw,s are a great solution, but expensive. You need one for the camera and the SB-800. Cost about 350.00 for a set.

Su-800 , works, I have one, but not foolproof.
    Pw will give you manual only, Su-800 full ttl control.

Fv lock, never really used it, only good if you shoot from same place and the exposure does not change.

9. I dont know if the op is annoyed by the actual pre-flashes or the fact the onboardflash will emitt light no matter what you do.

For headshots the onboard flash will still bee seen in the catchlight.

A su-800 or pw will remedy it either way.

Personally i find small outblown catchlights in the center of the eye plain awful. But thats just me.