SB-80DX with D2H question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by RDM3, Dec 19, 2005.

1. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I have a D2H and I have been using my SB-80DX with it, it goes to the DTTL mode and I alsu use the Quantum Turbo pack for the flash so it recycles fast.

The problem I am having is the flash will rip for a couple then it won't flash for a few then pick up again, as if the battery pack wasn't there and the it was relying on the AA's in it. The quantum is working fine so it is not that, one odd thing is I can take the flash off, take the AA's cover off, out it all back on and let it rip and it is fine, flashes every time, but when I go to take game shots it seems to act up, like the camera knows I am takign photos of something I need.

Is it the flash unit not working properly with the D2H, should I get an SB-800DX?

I just want the flash to rip when I need it, now I know the D2H will go 8fps so maybe that is why it can't keep up.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm not sure if this is the issue, but the flash units heat up when used, maybe the heat is triggering a thermal shut off?

3. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I am not sure, its odd the other night sitting at hime I let it rip and it fired fine, I go to a game and it skips, I haven't a clue why

4. The SB800 has a 5th battery that rides on and replaces the battery cover. It does help the recycle time but at 8fps I don't know of any flash that can keep up.

5. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    maybe i need to push the fps down when i use the flash to 4 and see how it reacts at the next game.

will i see many benefits to getting an sb800?

6. The greatest benefit will be that it is compatible with your D2H and takes advantage of the CLS system built into the flash and camera. It can also be used in a wireless Master/Slave function. I have two SB800's and one SB80. I rarely use the SB80. Also, the SB800 has a higher guide number.

7. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    What sport are you shooting?

8. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I went and got the SB 800, it is a nice flash!!!

I was advised the reason the flash fires once and then skips a couple then refires is due to the type of shooting, being I am in a gym the camera and flash read that the player is far away and to make sure i get the right exposure the flash puts out a high level of flash so it takes longer to recycle, even with the Quantum power pack attached. The flash has nothing to bounce off of in a large room or gym, now if I am in a small room it will fire off without missing or skipping, due to the smaller room the flash senses the bounce so it doesn't use as much power.

Is there a way to keep the SB 800 flash in iTTL mode and have it fire at half power on each shot so I don't lose 2 shots?

Can I just use the diffuser? I am going to try the diffuser today and see if the flash senses bounce and fires off for each shot, I can push the flash to make up for using the diffuser.

9. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    Sorry Mike, I didn't see your question, but for the flash issue it has been high school basketball, wrestling, ice hockey lately, all large gym/arena sports with no flash bounce possibilities

10. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    Ok I gave my diffuser a shot in the ttl bl.... mode and it fired 1 at a time, I put it in manual mode and changed it to 1/2 and it would fire 3 shots with flash.

11. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    The diffuser is going to lowerrthe flash output (not good)
    You can shoot at higher ISO's, which will taxc the flash less.

When I shoot sports I shoot in Manual 1/8th for basketball on the baseline, that can pop off 6 flashes in a row without a problem.

Two things: first, ifyou are using flash and know your sports you really do not need to machine gun things, since you kinow your exposure will be good with nice DOF you can concentrate ontaking the one or two good shots you want.

Second, fi you are close enough, manual is the way to go, both with your camera and the flash

if you are trying to light people from 40 feet away shooting at 200mm, there is no doubt why you are having trouble with your flash running out of gas, wait until they are closer - it will probably minimize tyhe derr in the headlights effect as well

12. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa

Thanks!!! I will give the 1/8 a try, I use my 70-200 2.8 along the sidelines, sometimes I will go under the basket. I just like to get 3-4 in a row at least.

13. marc

marc Guest

the flash is not designed to pop off 8 in a row, using the quantum pack, certainly will give you faster recycle times, but the flash still overheats.
    i have found maybe 3 or 4 bursts at best, then let it rest you will burn out the flash.

the battery pack is really needed, for extended shooting, 200 , 300 shots

thinking the battery pack will allow you to burst shots , will just blow up the flash.

the advice from twig was excellent, take 2 or 3 shots, compose properly, very few photogs just let it rip, they time there shots and rip 3 or 4 and hope for the best.
    watch a pro basketball game, the photogs wait for the shot and then maybe 3 or 4 bursts at best.

good luck

14. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    It is def a matter of timing, If I can rip 3-4 and get a great shot or 2 I am happy