1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sb-900 does this confirm Nikon's commitment to DX?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by davidzvi, Jul 1, 2008.

1. An interesting thing about the SB-900 flash:

"The SB-900 is perfectly adapted to both DX and FX formats, and will automatically select the appropriate light distribution pattern according to the sensor format of the camera to which it is attached."​

Just a note for anyone that though DX was going away. The Top of the line flash specifically designed with DX features.

2. I remember Iliah brought this point up a long time ago when we were talking about how efficient the throw was when you were shooting DX....I think Nikon knows how many DX lenses are out there, and it probably wasn't too difficult to include an algorithm in the firmware to handle this.

Sean

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Maybe five years from now DX will be gone but for the time being FX will be so much more expensive. With that in mind, DX will be here for a while.

It is ironic that Nikon introduced the SB-4/6/800 while saying they were going fully DX - yet those flashes do nothing to support DX mode (it still puzzles me why the camera would simply not report 1.5x focal length to the flash for that matter).
    And now that Nikon is clearly working on becoming a serious FX player they decide to introduce a flash with specific DX modes. :confused: 

4. I think it makes great sense. If you look at how many old Nikon bodies and lens are still out there, it will be a lot longer than five years before the DX disappear. More like never. The current DX bodies will be starter cameras for a lot of new shooters in the future.

5. Jim C

Jim C Guest

I wish Nikon released a roadmap. Even the vague one suggested by Thom Hogan whereby they say they are committed to both DX and FX.

Currently I shoot a D80. I have no reason to want to replace the body yet, and would rather flesh out my kit with glass and speedlights.

But what about DX lenses? Is DX going to be around long enough that it makes sense to buy expensive DX glass?

And before you say "just buy FX lenses", in certain situations, that just doesn't make sense on a DX body.

Nikon 17-55 DX
    Nikon 12-24 DX
    Sigma 10-20 DX
    Sigma 30 f/1.4 DX

(The last two aren't in the price category of the first, but seeing as how money doesn't grow on trees, yet, and this is just a hobby, $500 US for a lens isn't an impulse purchase for me.)

6. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I don't think they need to confirm any commitment to DX. Their is a HUGE lineup of DX lenses from Nikon and their third parties. They continue to release new cameras and lenses for the DX format. It is cheaper and easier to produce quality lenses that work well with the smaller sensors. DX isn't going anywhere... probably ever.

7. Jim C

Jim C Guest

If DX is around for a long time, or forever, that's just fine with me.

I'd be happier to hear that from Nikon before I shell out $1200 for a 17-55 DX (as a hobbyist), but I don't expect that will happen.

8. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

There will always be a market for DX camera. Heck Point and shoots are still around and those things are WAY smaller than APS-C.

My guess is that the DX00 series will not longer be DX 8 years. They replace it every ~2yrs so we'll have the D400 in 2009, D500 in 2011 and D600 in 2013. Then it will be just the FX cameras, whatever would replace the D700 at that time.

9. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I'll beleive in Nikon's commitment to DX when they start releasing fast DX primes like a 28mm f/1.0 AF-S

and f/2 zooms, to match f/2.8 zooms for FX.

"It's the lenses, stupid!"

10. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Agreed. Why would Nikon release a flash that does not work with THE MAJORITY of the cameras they are currently selling? This is as much a flash for DX cameras as it is for FX. I don't see them selling an "FX only" flash until their current product lineup is composed of only FX cameras. 10+ years away in my estimation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.