SB600 and Umbrella Usage

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by kahrens, Jul 8, 2008.

1. When using the SB600 and an Umbrella as a reflector (Not Shoot thru) Should you twist the SB600 so the IR panel on the front of the flash is pointing to the subject or into the umbrella. Or does it make a difference?

I am using CLS (i-TTL) to control the flash.

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Well, if you want to use it to reflect into the umbrella, then it would naturally be facing the umbrella.....I believe the statement you posted kind of answers itself.....the answer is within the question.

3. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Her question has to do with the flash's ability to receive the IR signal from the camera to trigger the flash, not the flash's ability to work with the umbrella.

I've never noticed a failure to receive the signal when using my SB-800 to control my 600, but it couldn't hurt to point the IR receiver towards the sending unit.

4. It doesn't matter. Making sure the sensor window on the side of the speedlight is oriented towards the commander is top priority. My second priority is being able to look at the settings on the LCD panel.

Here's how I set mine up.

5. Thanks Frank,
    I was concerned that the IR Auto Focus illuminators on the front of the lower section needed to be pointed towards the subject.

I see that this is not necessary, however I do realize that the IR sensor on the side of the unit should be seen by the camera for best results/communication between camera and flash.

Thank You.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.