SB600 - can't get things right

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by watsonD50, Jun 24, 2007.

1. i have the D50 and I have found the in-camera flash produces a 'perfect exposure' every time - when I use my SB600 i just can't seem to get things right, either over or under exposure. My SB600 seems to be collecting dust because I just can't get pictures as good as my in-camera flash and that shouldn't be the case. The in-camera flash on my D50 produces images that look very natural - almost as if a flash was not used with just the right amount of power and perfectly balanced metering - how can I get the same output with the SB600 (and is this normal) ?

2. What mode are you using the SB-600 in? TTL? TTL-BL? under what conditions are you using it? Are you bouncing or direct flash?

3. Try and take some pics with camera and flash in pure auto. If it still has problems, then somethings wrong. I found the flash increase the complexity a full magnitude, and still have little understanding of how to manipulate camera AND flash to do what is needed. It will take time