SB600 vs SB800 vs Metz MZ3

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by goatee, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hi,
    can anyone comment on how the Metz 54 MZ3 compares to the SB600 & SB800? At some point I want to get an SB900, but for now, I have a MZ3 with Canon foot, which I could replace for a Nikon foot, but don't know how well the flash exposures compare to those from an SB600 / 800.

I can't also find an easy comparison of how the SB600 compares to the 800.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks!

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    It'll be the same as using the SB800 in "A" mode. The SB800 supports off-camera wireless flash though.

3. Ok, because with my Canon camera, I could use it in ETTL(2) mode, so basically the same as using a 580EX, but a bit more consistent ;) . I think I'm getting confused between iTTL and CLS. .

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Nikon uses iTTL. I don't know if the Metz flash supports that or not. I personally stopped using it, because it fires a preflash that causes some subjects to blink.

5. Ah - the frustrating thing, is that the Nikon foot is around £40, but I can get a whole used MZ3 for around £100, which means I can have two flashes, and stick one on an optical slave foot, strobist style. But. . . If I want to use the whole Nikon wireless TTL flash thingy, I need SB flashes. . .

6. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I was wondering about the pre-flash effects. How do you turn this off? I just got my 800 yesterday and am still learning where things are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.