SB600 vs SB800

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vettenut, Apr 13, 2007.

1. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I'm not a big flash guy although I am guilty of having spent more money than necessary on Flash equip. in my film days. I need a flash that is excellent for fill flash, good enough for a wedding (supplemental photo's only) and can be set for fractional power output in manual mode (can the SB600 do this ?). It's easy to say just get the SB-800 but I won't use it a lot and I would rather spend the extra $130.00 on something else (if possible). Any good comparisons between the two from experienced users would be appreciated. Note: This would be used on my D200. Thanks in advance. - Jeff

2. I would be interested too because I don't see myself using a flash all that much (yeah I know macro, wildlife, etc....) but I would rather save the money and put it into say a wireless remote or another used lens ;)

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I only have SB800s because I can always turn down the output. I often wish I had more umph, goes back to my SB 24 days (which I still have).

4. The SB600 is a good flash and while it can not be used as a commander it does make an excellent remote. It will work in iTTL, TTL, manual, and other settings. The SB600 can be fired from the D200 on board flash and later if you decide to get an SB800 it will make an excellent partner with that. I usually try to talk people into getting the SB800 because it has more power and can be used as a commander but the 600 is a great remote flash. Go for it.

5. Just to buck the trend I've just purchased a second SB600. I'm mostly using them as remotes (your SLR needs commander mode).

I was over in Atlanta last week visiting my brother who has both flashes. Dialling down the power level on the SB800 certainly was a useful feature - we had 4 remote flashes being used for some large group pictures. The SB600's had to be diffused.

Given the choice, if you can afford it, get the SB800 - it has more versatility and more reach.

6. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Thanks for all the inputs, my gut told me it would tend to lean the SB800 direction and it looks like thats the way to go, I know I have to take some wedding pics in July but not the primary photo's as far as I know, this may change but I hope not. I guess the SB800 would be the smart route "Just in Case". - Jeff

7. Jeff, you have a D200 so you don't need the commander capabilities of the SB-800. So really, it's a matter of deciding if the output strength you gain by going SB-800 is worth it to you or not.

8. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Just ordered the SB800 today from Berger Bros.:smile: , should have by tomorrow night, Thanks everyone for your inputs, greatly appreciated. - Jeff

9. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Does the SB800 come with an attachable diffuser? I read somewhere that it does.

10. Yes; however, the SB600 does not. The diffuser included is a Stofen, not the best but usable.

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

You also get some tungsten and fluorescent gels with the sb800.

12. Its better to have the extra power of the SB800 and not need it then to need it and not have it. I learned this the hard way so now I have both the SB600 and the SB800

Go with the SB800

13. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Indeed, as someone who runs around my lab saying this quite often ("Better to need and not have, than to have and not need."), I opted for the SB-800 which should arrive tomorrow.