sb800- cls/ operating question?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by marc, Sep 29, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

i love sb 800 used in conjunction with other sb800 or 600

this is the question

sb800 master on camera, sb800 slaves wherever

the master retains all of it's normal mode settings? standby mode etc.

the slave units , what happens to there basic settings, mainly standby mode?

i normally leave the flash units in standby, do the slaves shutoff or does something else happen?

can someone explain what happens and is there a fix or something undocumented?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Not sure I fully understand your question, but once you have set them to be masters or remotes, they will stay in that mode until you change it. Even after powering fully off.

3. marc

marc Guest

i am trying to find out what happens to stanby mode when you turn off camera, but leave speedlight on

i often do this, do you know if slave goes into it's programmed standby mode
    the master does

4. yes they will ALL go into standby mode to conserve battery power regardless if the camera is on or off. Each flash unit has to be physically powered off.

5. marc

marc Guest

good morning dave

thanks for answering, it's seems, contradictory

if they go into standby mode automatically, then you only need to physically power off.

my question is will the slave units go into standby mode automatically or is there something you need to set on each unit?

i found my slave not going into standby

thanks

i want to leave in standby

6. I haven't specifically set anything to cause the slave to go into standby but mine do go into standby mode automatically when not used for a bit. Maybe there's some setting that got changed. I don't have my manual with me here but I think there's a reset function to return the flash to factory settings. Maybe that would do the trick.

7. marc

marc Guest

thanks kevin

i asked the question, because while the master goes to standby instantly, the slave did not, and burned the batteries.

that is why i am trying to find out if the slave auto standby mode still applies, while sb800 is in slave mode

marc :rolleyes: :wink: :cool: :confused: :tongue: :biggrin: :eek: :frown: :smile: :rolleyes:

8. Marc,
    They (the slaves and command unit) should all go into standby mode automatically. They may not do it simultaniously but they should do it after a period of non use. I suspect that Kevin is correct, either a setting has been overridden inadvertantly or you need to reset the unit to factory settings.
    Dave

9. For SB-800's
    The Master unit will go into standby when connected to the camera, and not used for 40 seconds. (40 sec. setting is adjustable)
    The Remote units will not go into standby, ever, unless batteries are weak.
    Page 21 of owner's manual.

I have not had a significant battery loss with remotes left on. Once I left it in the camera bag overnight, turned on and set to Remote. It still worked.

If a SB-800's ready-light does not come on after 60 seconds of being turned on, or fired, then it will go into standby regardless of settings. This means time to change batteries.

So if your SB-800 is set to remote and goes into standby, change battereis.
    Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  10. Didn't want to say you were wrong if your setup is different

If you are using a speedlight different than the SB-800 as a remote, then the standby should be truned off. The standby is cancelled on the SB-800 when it is set to Remote. page 73

Hope this helps, many people use other speedlights as remotes and standby varies with each combination.

My first post refered to all speedlights being SB-800's. If yours are going into standby you may be using a different flash as a the remote.

Just trying to help, Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  11. marc

marc Guest

thanks all, i think i have the answer

slaves do not go into stanby, only master